PDA

View Full Version : Amazon: - Torque setting for rear hub nuts?

222s
Mar 21st, 2009, 19:05
Hi All,

Does anyone know what the torque setting is for the rear hub nuts? I've just fitted a set of new drums but can't find the torque setting in any of the manuals.

Cheers,

Paul

PaulWphoto
Mar 21st, 2009, 20:09
i don't think there is one as the fitment is dependant on you being able to get the split pin in.

I usually just nip it up tight and then loosen it a bit 'til the pin goes through the hole. You can check the play in the wheel by grabbing it and trying to shake it. If its too much tighten it up a bit more but not too much as you will damage the bearing in time.

Ron Kwas
Mar 22nd, 2009, 23:01
Paul(1);

I agree with Paul (2) that there is no torque specified, the assembly procedure being: Snug to take up all free play, then continue to next alignment opportunity for cotter pin (this occurs at 30degree intervals and typically between 50-90 ft/lbs - estimated). I recommend against "backing up" to an alignment point...I'd thin the washer a bit first...drum is a critical drive-link and shouldn't be anything but absolutely secured!

I disagree with Paul (2) about the torque of drum retaining nut having anything to do with wheel bearing preload...this being set by shims behind backing plate.

What the torque of the drum nut does have to do with, and causes, is excess gastric gas during next removal...that's why I recommend the use of the slightest film of graphite bearing grease on the tapered axle shaft to prevent said gas: http://sw-em.com/Brake_Drum_Notes.htm

Cheers from Connecticut!