PDA

View Full Version : Help with clio turbo conversion plz..

RUSTY-480-TURBO
Mar 25th, 2009, 21:10
Hi all..

I'm new round here but was kind of wondering if you guys can help me..

I have a very rusty 480 turbo, to bad to restore so i have heard that this engine will go straight into a clio with pretty much no hassle.. Was wondering if maybe some one on here has done it or perhaps knows some one who has..

I got questions like will it fit any clio, will i have all the bits i need on my 480 turbo or do i need a shopping list of parts.. I'm a fully skilled mechanic so i'm sure i can do the job but i just need some inside info of exactly what i need..

The car I'm using is a 1990 480 turbo, 1.7 i think.. Only down side is it's a auto so not exactly sure what gear box i will need, clio one, or does it have to be a volvo one..

Also the rest of the car is breaking for bits so if any body wants any thing then please say..

Thanks for any help in advance...

Clan
Mar 25th, 2009, 21:49
Best to get a 400 turbo Renault based manual gearbox which volvo has strengthened for the Turbo engine and will have a suitable final drive ratio . The Non turbo Renault gearbox will fit but it might not last too long ..
You might be better looking on a clio forum for advice on fitting the engine to a clio ..

B20F
Mar 25th, 2009, 21:55
You will need the M59E or M59M gearbox. The E stands for electronic drive of the speedometer. The M59M(echanical) stands for a cable driven speedometer. Those are the strongest gearboxes of the Volvo 400 series.

RUSTY-480-TURBO
Mar 25th, 2009, 23:28
The speedo would be manual on the clio so wud be better with the m59m gearbox, i spose i wud also need the fly wheel and clutch from the same model.. ?

Thanks for the help so far people, keep it comming..