PDA

View Full Version : Amazon: - DAB radio and aerial fitting

TomTom
Mar 30th, 2009, 18:41
Has anyone got a DAB radio in their car, and what did they do with the aerial? I waned to fit the HAL1 aerial with a JVC DAB unit, but I see that it's 525mm high and needs to be fitted down the windscreen which is barely 300mm.

My car has never had a radio and I'd like not to drill holes in the bodywork if possible.

Any ideas for digital rolling...?

Thanks

Tom

Clan
Mar 30th, 2009, 20:21
I have a 1967 classic car and have fitted a DAB set , i bought a combined DAB / FM roof aerial it is about a foot long so quite neat and the best place for sometimes tricky DAB reception ..

Richard_TD
Mar 30th, 2009, 21:11
I don't think a foot is long enough for a DAB radio, whatever the manufacturers try and tell you. I have a genuine PURE DAB aerial on my van and it doesn't get as many stations as my car does with a bodged connection to the standard FM aerial. I also had to buy a longer aerial for the DAB in the house.

I've had the radio in two Citroen Xantias and on both of them I had to fit the longer (but otherwise identical) aerial from a Renault to get decent reception. It will be interesting to see how the 940's glass-mounted aerial copes with it.

How about a magmount if you don't want to drill holes? I believe you can get them in Maplin and it would be quite easy to graft the correct plug on.

Clan
Mar 30th, 2009, 21:28
about a foot is the correct tuned length , it cost me £140 ! Its interesting that volvo said in 2006 they have no plans to support DAB in the UK ..