PDA

View Full Version : Crippled 440

ahal
Mar 30th, 2009, 22:49
Hi,

My father engaged in a bit of 'car artistry' last night involving his 440, 30mph ( if he can be believed! ) and a kerb. Basically he managed to ( heavily ) glance the wheel off it on a dark stretch of road. I drove it home which was ... interesting.

It drove like there was a square wheel on the passenger side, and took both sides of the road at turns ( we're talking 2 a.m., 10 mph ). The wheel seems to be okay in the horizonal, but inclined 'in' at the bottom in the vertical sense.

Looks like a right mess. I took some photo's and decided to run them past you all, 'cause I'm out of ideas. Any observations most welcome, cause all I can tell is that the wishbone is bent.

Many thanks,

Tony

myatt1972
Mar 30th, 2009, 23:17
You might get away with a wishbone, can you see if the subframe has moved? If it has moved you will see it around the subframe mounts. Take the wheel off and have a look at the steering rack and strut, if something is bent it usually leaves clues ie cracked or flaking paint/underseal.
Good luck.
Keith...

ahal
Apr 4th, 2009, 22:23
Hmm ... the car is still sat out on the road. I keep hearing talk about 'recession' but so far no - one has been orsed to contact me about fixing it. I've been on to two repair shops but they just never got back to me as arranged.

As a last ditch I tried a guy I used to deal with years ago. I asked him did he think it would cost much. The reply was "it depends on whether it's going to be just knockin' around town or like, lots of long drives ..." Wtf ... and indeed wtf again! I took this as a prelude to getting screwed.

With so many tossers about, it's hard to believe we're in a recession. I'm going to ring up volvo, order a wishbone, and by hook or by crook ( not those crooks! ) I'll fit the feckin' thing myself.

Robbijay
Apr 5th, 2009, 09:12
The reply was "it depends on whether it's going to be just knockin' around town or like, lots of long drives ..." Wtf ... and indeed wtf again! I took this as a prelude to getting screwed.

Translates to "depends if you want me to bodge it or fix it" I think!

RUSTY-480-TURBO
Apr 5th, 2009, 11:52
Hmm ... the car is still sat out on the road. I keep hearing talk about 'recession' but so far no - one has been orsed to contact me about fixing it. I've been on to two repair shops but they just never got back to me as arranged.

As a last ditch I tried a guy I used to deal with years ago. I asked him did he think it would cost much. The reply was "it depends on whether it's going to be just knockin' around town or like, lots of long drives ..." Wtf ... and indeed wtf again! I took this as a prelude to getting screwed.

With so many tossers about, it's hard to believe we're in a recession. I'm going to ring up volvo, order a wishbone, and by hook or by crook ( not those crooks! ) I'll fit the feckin' thing myself.

I have a wish bone and a set of 4 alloys for sale...

Paul240480
Apr 7th, 2009, 09:33
Bugga! Once you've got it all back together don't forget to have your tracking done.

I've recently carried out some work on my 240's 'front end'. After my hard work I could'nt work our why my steering wheel was off-set whilst going dead ahead............ "Get yer tracking done mate" was the reply. An obvious reply really, but never occured to me till I was told! DOH!

Problem solved!

Daniel M
Apr 29th, 2009, 08:25
I done similar in my 480 T when I had it. I actually bent the steering column as well as the wish bone-both needed replacing (obviously!). That was an argument with a kerb also!