PDA

View Full Version : 1800: - Living with a P1800

Tree
Apr 3rd, 2009, 15:21
Hello all

I’m new to the forum, so I’ll introduce myself. I’m 25, and currently looking at buying my first classic car.

I used to be a ‘serial car owner’, until I got my current car, which is a 96 Toyota Celica. However, I’ve decided after 2 years (A new record), that it’s just too mundane, and I need something far less reliable, more stylish, and more interesting. (I live within walking distance of work, and a pub, so I could survive without transport while my car’s broken in the garage – something I’m preparing for) I’m also on a mission to avoid road tax, and given that I’ll never buy a 1 litre diesel powered rollerskate, or a house in the Channel Islands, I’ll have to get something pre ’73!

I’ve decided on a P1800, and have looked at a couple over the last few months.

Two things I’m looking to know really – what are they like to live with on a daily basis? Does anyone use theirs daily, and what quirks does one have to adjust to?

Secondly, I’m undecided whether to go for an S or an E. (E is more powerful and economical, but less reliable so I’ve heard?)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

agent_strangelove
Apr 3rd, 2009, 19:51
I drive a 122 (same guts at an 1800s) most days. I also have a '64 1800s I drive a few days a week in the summer time. I have driven my '65 122 200,000 miles over the last 17 years.

It sounds like you are being realist in that there will be bugs with the car. The longer you have it and are aware of what it's quarks are, the easier it will be to have it start and drive as you you would expect.

I like the early 's' cars as they have cooler looking bumpers (bull horns) but you are right there is a bit more **** and vinegar in the 'e' (assuming both are stock), but a well tuned 's' is better than a poorly running 'e' car. The 's' cars also have different gauges and switches which I like better. The 'e' cars can be very reliable as well if they have been taken care of over the years. But then any car can be unreliable if it's had a hardlife...

Test drive as many as you can before you buy one. I'm sure someone in the club over there would like you drive one to see if you like it. Looks are nice but if you are not comformable in it etc, you will not be happy.

Good luck,
Chris

tdz840
Apr 4th, 2009, 08:11
I drive a 122 (same guts at an 1800s) most days. I also have a '64 1800s I drive a few days a week in the summer time. I have driven my '65 122 200,000 miles over the last 17 years.

It sounds like you are being realist in that there will be bugs with the car. The longer you have it and are aware of what it's quarks are, the easier it will be to have it start and drive as you you would expect.

I like the early 's' cars as they have cooler looking bumpers (bull horns) but you are right there is a bit more **** and vinegar in the 'e' (assuming both are stock), but a well tuned 's' is better than a poorly running 'e' car. The 's' cars also have different gauges and switches which I like better. The 'e' cars can be very reliable as well if they have been taken care of over the years. But then any car can be unreliable if it's had a hardlife...

Test drive as many as you can before you buy one. I'm sure someone in the club over there would like you drive one to see if you like it. Looks are nice but if you are not comformable in it etc, you will not be happy.

Good luck,
Chris

I think Chris has pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
I would add as per normal with a car models evolution the later 'upgrades' MAY have an affect on the original design (eg Etype series 3 FHC). Always in the eye of the beholder of course!
What I will say is the changes made to the E particulary regarding the injection side of the engine is that many components are not repairable and very soon not replaceable. Your only optiopn may then be to rely on second hand spares, NOS, develop a different system (megasquirt/emerald) or change to carbs. On the upside, dual cct brakes, thru flow vent system, alternator, performance, economy. Last two are marginal now I would say.
In terms of performance you state you expect the car to be in the garagee for periods? Therefore I assume you will not be doing the repaires yourself? With an old injection system the 'stays' may be longer and you may be paying for periods the propritor is searching for parts. Wheras the carb models are so simple. Again with experience you should be running a carb engine reliably very quickly.
As with all things the more you use them the more reliable they become. Up until my car (1967 1800S) was taken off the road for a respray it would start on the button rain or shine, winter or summer, hot or cold start. It just a case of engineering out all the gremlins.
With the support of this board you should have no issues running daily.
Russ

skysurfer
Apr 6th, 2009, 19:57
I've owned a P1800S now for a few years having previously owned a couple of Amazons. At first, I must admit that the car felt rather claustrophobic with the high door lines, lowish raked roof and large steering wheel which sits almost vertical to the dash. There's also not much leg room between the seats and wheel so if you're a 14 stone rugby player type (like myself) then it's often necessary to slide the seat back to get in and out comfortably without dislocating something ! I guess people were a lot slimmer in the sixties. Having said that, I'm now used to the car and love driving it. Good torquey engine, great gear change and stable at high speeds,although steering is quite heavy when parking. Most parts are available new or secondhand - Simon at Brookhouse is excellent for both parts and advice, so your car needn't be off the road long (I find it's actually easier getting parts for my P1800S than my previous modern Subaru !). Whilst there are merits with both the S and E, I went for the S because I liked its purer shape and simplicity of maintenance. Whichever you choose though, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and enjoyment.

tdz840
Apr 6th, 2009, 20:06
skysurfer,
I see you are in Chichester (my daughters at the UNI there), not too far away from me. Car is just out of the bodyshop but we should meet up, once back together, along with any other Volvos you know of in the area?
Russ

222s
Apr 6th, 2009, 21:26
we should meet up, once back together, along with any other Volvos you know of in the area?

I'm often around there visiting family (I grew up near Chi) :)

There's also a VOC meet at the old fort on the hill above Portsmouth in a few weeks time.

skysurfer
Apr 6th, 2009, 23:05
Hi Russ and 222s

Happy to meet up when you're next in the area - how about one of the Goodwood Breakfast Club or track day meets ?. I think the VOC event is at Fort Nelson on Portsdown Hill. Went there a few weeks ago and it's an interesting place with a huge collection of artillery pieces (and its free too !)

Cheers

Paul

Tree
Apr 7th, 2009, 10:33
Thanks for the tips guys. My heart’s telling me to go for the S. I prefer to looks of them too – may end up putting cowhorn bumpers on a mid / late sixties model. (Unlike some enthusiasts, I’m not hellbent on keeping the car ‘original’ – I just want to get it looking how I like it!)

So the search continues.. I keep finding cars which are in need of ‘minor cosmetic work’. Invariably, I’ve found the seller has actually mistyped ‘rotting from within around the front end’. I hear this type of work can financially ruin you?

Skysurfer, I notice you’re local to me (I’m in Worthing) would it be possible to meet at some point and see your car?

skysurfer
Apr 8th, 2009, 21:09
Tree. Happy to meet up to let you view my car. I wouldn't say i'm an expert on these cars like some of the wise men (and ladies) that regulary give advice on this forum, but I do know something and the main things to look out for. Suggest Goodwood Motor Circuit sometime as that's not too far from me.

caliwagon
Apr 14th, 2009, 17:54
Tree, I'm 26 and having been living with a 67 1800S here in Los Angeles for the last year and a half. The car is my daily driver--I average 200-300 miles per week. I've owned 8 cars so far, and the 1800S is by far the best. Quite economical, easy to work on (I prefer the carb'd S model for that reason, among others), affordable to own, and fun to drive. The car attracts a ton of attention wherever I go, and people always seem to think they cost a lot more than they actually do.

Like you, I'm not intent on keeping the car original. I've made some modifications along the way to make it even better for daily use. I've added Miata seats, a stereo that plays and controls my ipod, a Lockheed power brake servo, a 14" grant mahogany steering wheel, brighter Cibie headlamps, Mallory electronic ignition, etc... The car uses no oil, and I can literally go months without even having to open the "bonnet" (as you call it). Though I do open it, because I like checking the fluids and keeping the engine clean.

So go for the 1800! Take your time in selecting the right one--make sure it's been well cared for and has the features you want. You'll save money by buying one that's already been restored to good condition. Don't get one that's perfect, though, or else you'll begin obsessing about it and won't get maximum use out of it as daily transportation. It's easy to get anxious and rushed when trying to find the car you really want, but patience (and perhaps walking away from a few cars) will bring many benefits in the long run.

Alf ista
Apr 14th, 2009, 19:36
Jeez, now I want one too.......:err:

ClassicVolvoShop
Apr 14th, 2009, 22:38
Living with a 1800... is the title of this thread..

The most important thing is - you say you are 25 and new to Volvo's - so I think.. Yes, the 1800 series are nice cars - nice design - nice to look at.. underneath it all though, they are just like the Amazon/120 series..

And then I think.. Why not go for a very nice Amazon/120 wagon?

YES!! I know it's hole other thing!! I know!!.. But please.... your title was: "..LIVING with a..".. It's the "living" that makes me think this way.. See, being 25 - it wont be long untill a beautiful women comes your way.. and one thing you can be all sure of is, that the 1800 will go if the relationship turns into 3... there's just NO room for anything other than you and max. a pregnant woman in a 1800 - nothing more!..

Instead you'll be able to LIVE - really LIVE - with your Volvo if you go for the Amazon/120 wagon.. You'll still LIVE with it when the 3 becomes 4.. and 5... + a dog and 2 cats...

So.. with a little clever early choice, you'll be able to really LIVE with your Volvo - and that's the essense for many Volvo owners: They LIVE with their Volvo's - For life!

:)

Dylan144GT
Apr 14th, 2009, 23:18
So.. with a little clever early choice, you'll be able to really LIVE with your Volvo - and that's the essense for many Volvo owners: They LIVE with their Volvo's - For life!

I love this, I think it really sums up our passion for these cars! :thumbs_up:

Dylan

classicswede
Apr 15th, 2009, 09:03
The onky think with the amazon is you have more chance of making it 3 as the P1800 is a bit short on space for that - not to say you cant:censored:

VolvoFan
Apr 15th, 2009, 21:42
If your heart is set on an 1800, then you will be disappointed if you end up with something else. You can always sell it later and buy an Amazon - for whatever reason.Good hunting!

Tree
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:02
All very good points.. though I think the odds of attracting a Mrs Tree are higher in the P1800 :-p

I do like Amazons, but it’d have to be a two door. And then (dare I say it) I’d probably end up ruining it by chopping the roof and trying to turn it into that virtual custom amazon that's all over google images.

I’d end up with something that’s cost me a fortune, hours of grief, and would only come out for shows. At this point, my future wife would have already left me anyway.

With the P1800, I’d whack on the cowhorn bumpers and minilites, stick in a Becker Mexico satnav, and the job’s a gud’n.

For family duties, I’ll get a Norton with sidecar. Sorted. :-D