PDA

View Full Version : provisional drivers and full licence passenger...

grainqey
Apr 4th, 2009, 14:58
hiya, i'v been asked if i can take my brother out in my car for him to practice driving but i think i've got to have held my licence for a minimum of 3 years, my family think it is only for a period of 2 years and then i can supervise a provisional driver

is it 2 years or 3 years as i think?

thanks

Volvo-in-my-blood
Apr 4th, 2009, 15:22
Minimum three years having held a full licence and you also need to be 21 years (or older).

cumbrianmale
Apr 4th, 2009, 16:19
If you want to practise your driving with an accompanying driver, the accompanying driver must be over the age of 21 and must have held (and still hold) a full licence, in the relevant vehicle category, for three years. (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/LearningToDriveOrRide/DG_4022661)

Taken from directgov

Stoney Strike
Apr 4th, 2009, 16:55
Just a quick note on this.
All the above sounds right;
OVER 21
Full license for min' 3 years
BUT ALSO MUST BE UNDER THE ALCOHOL LIMIT THEMSELVES! Just a point worth noting! You can't be a supervisor on your way back from the pub! I'm sure I read of a bloke in Blackburn trying to get that overturnred and failing.
There might be an endorsements issue aswell, but I can't bloody remember for the life in me just now........ Sorry.

rippedoffagain
Apr 4th, 2009, 18:01
You also need to watch you don't get caught on on the insurance. Most insurers will be happy to take the extra money off you to add your brother as a learner on your policy, but it won't count for anything if you're supervising if you don't meet the legal criteria (21+ and licensed for 3+ years).

Stoney Strike
Apr 4th, 2009, 21:59
You also need to watch you don't get caught on on the insurance. Most insurers will be happy to take the extra money off you to add your brother as a learner on your policy, but it won't count for anything if you're supervising if you don't meet the legal criteria (21+ and licensed for 3+ years).

Bang on with that! Don't get on the "GREAT INSURANCE" debate! Those leeches get my goat!
NORWICH UNION (United Nations Of...) or whatever they are called now are beyond a joke!
"Oh yes sir, your insurance premium has gone up by 45% because the accident you were involved in, the one where the other driver, (insured by us as well...), was charged with dangerous driving, has been assigned as 'knock for knock', it says here on my screen." :lightbulb: Utter genius! We had, ahem, "words" about that, and it turned out to be a "clerical error".... The type that shows up and is rectified ONLY on account of the customer going MENTAL down the phone! If not? Well "TOUGH SHEEIITT THAR PARDNER!" as the cowboy once said! There would have been a mug (i.e. ME!) paying over the odds fer ages, for NOWT!!!!!!!!

Sorry..... I got on me high horse there didn't I? It's only been a year... lmao!