PDA

View Full Version : What is it with people on the roads today

the alarming man
Apr 4th, 2009, 16:18
Why is it everyone thinks that because a car is a volvo it is slow???...and the flip side is they think at 65 mph it will stop in 6 feet which my tank will not...I mean last night there i was driving down a stretch of 70 MPH road doing about 65 MPH when 30 foot in front of me some plank driving a police skoda fabia pulled out on me...lucky really as i did manage to swerve around her and i stopped in a lay by ahead where a traffic car was sat and i asked him to have a word, which he did and the silly girl replied on i didnt see him and i didn't know volvos went that fast..the traffic guy in amazement just turned and looked at his car....a brand new '09' volvo estate
thinking about it though good job i had'nt hit her as there would not be much of the skoda left now:car-smiley-031:

Robbijay
Apr 4th, 2009, 16:39
so much for police drivers!

tt82
Apr 4th, 2009, 16:47
i should imagine traffic units have good drivers but beat bobbys can be as a dangerous as any other fool on the road

Laney760
Apr 4th, 2009, 17:22
You've reminded me of my experience in my Volvo tank last year in my village when my lovely neighbour's daughter with an iq of less than a pea chased me through the village in my slug of a 740 2.0, RAMMING me up the rear and shouting 'Call that a f****** car', I was unable to accelerate any faster. I eventually slammed my anchors on and refused to move for some time, it was quite scary since she had her, also aggressive, boyfriend with her, I stayed in the locked car. Her boy racer car appeared outside their garage smashed up the next day, not surprised with her driving. Police absolutely refused to take any interest in this occurence. I'm just waiting for the next similar instance, my 760 saloon turbo diesel is very fast, previous owner has confirmed he had the pump set up for performance not economy, she obviously assumes that all Volvos are slow, she's going to be in for a shock

Stoney Strike
Apr 4th, 2009, 17:23
It's a bit of a reflection on what the Police will employ really isn't it? Plus the fact that she apparently believes there's lots of cars around that won't make 60 plus mph???? Nearly every single car on the road will struggle to or more often than not surge past 70 mph......... Especially a Volvo.
I did nail, quite comprehensibly a muppet in new shape Mini Cooper last night. Carved me, gave me "the look" when a passed him on the inside in plenty of space while he sat behind a car turning right on a main road. Then he pulled along side at the next lights reving his "poor man's" BMW, til the lights changed! :loser: I settled back into normal driving while caught up! Point proven...... Hare n tortoise (with afterburner!) anybody? lol
Oh how I laughed when he pulled up behind me glared petulantly at the next roundabout. At least he packed in went away after that.

the alarming man
Apr 4th, 2009, 18:05
You've reminded me of my experience in my Volvo tank last year in my village when my lovely neighbour's daughter with an iq of less than a pea chased me through the village in my slug of a 740 2.0, RAMMING me up the rear and shouting 'Call that a f****** car', I was unable to accelerate any faster. I eventually slammed my anchors on and refused to move for some time, it was quite scary since she had her, also aggressive, boyfriend with her, I stayed in the locked car. Her boy racer car appeared outside their garage smashed up the next day, not surprised with her driving. Police absolutely refused to take any interest in this occurence. I'm just waiting for the next similar instance, my 760 saloon turbo diesel is very fast, previous owner has confirmed he had the pump set up for performance not economy, she obviously assumes that all Volvos are slow, she's going to be in for a shock

your neighbour laneys sound really nice ramming you...was she on some baned substance what ever happened to prevoke such a response???..i thought my neighbours are bad...at least they they only call the council if i fart tooooo loudly....lol:animal-smiley-040:

rippedoffagain
Apr 4th, 2009, 18:09
I actually like the fact that older Volvos look slow. I've always prefered cars that look a bit understated. It always gives me great pleasure at when the lights change and I just know the pleb in the car to my left thinks he is going to just zip out in front and switch to my lane, rather doing the decent thing and dropping in behind, you just gently amble out with surprising agility and you see them in your rear view mirror having to actually uses those indicator things that they didn't know they had and actually have to wait for a suitable gap before swapping lanes, like it says in that highway code book they had the inconvenience of having to read one time before the nasty man would give them their driving license.

Laney760
Apr 4th, 2009, 19:13
your neighbour laneys sound really nice ramming you...was she on some baned substance what ever happened to prevoke such a response???..i thought my neighbours are bad...at least they they only call the council if i fart tooooo loudly....lol:animal-smiley-040:

Absolutely nothing, I was driving along minding my own buisness. I've mentioned on here before that certain neighbours have it in for me as they think I took someone to court for money they did not owe but even if that were the truth, which it isn't, it hardly justifies such behaviour! It was the boyfriend in the car who stole my 740 just after that. Recent comments from neighbours have been pointing out my car to their child and saying very loudly 'Look at the funny old car!' and 'Why would she bother waxing that old thing?' I'd like to see their Vauxhall Vectra, Fiat Punto and Suzuki Swift at 21 years old!!

Have to say that in general the response I get off of most, even intelligent, people when I say I belong to a Volvo forum is that it must be full of pipe smoking, cap wearing middle class fuddy duddies driving slugs, the old image still 'sticks'

I'm flabbergasted that the girl said 'I didn't think Volvos went that fast'! I'm surprised she didn't get stuck on for 'without due care and attention'!

Danneh
Apr 4th, 2009, 19:24
There are plenty of utter morons on the road. Problem is, I find it dfficult to control my temper when someone is being an utter arse. I can't stand being insulted for no reason, and shrugging it off. I'm not the tallest around by any means (just bout 6ft) but I sure am built like a tank and I go to the gym 4/5 times a week, so I haven't really ever had much trouble.. but idiots and insults boil my blood.

I'm not perfect myself, not at all, but I do try my hardest to be a better driver day by day and learn from any mistakes. I'm not the MLM's, or people who switch off while driving.

I love cars, and I love driving - The Volvo was the perfect car for me at this time due to circumstances, but I can't say I've gotten any "slow" comments. A few old comments, obviously, but not insults, just jokes with mates. I've even got a few "that looks good for a Volvo (S40)".

But I hate the amount of ignorant small minded tards on the roads.

rippedoffagain
Apr 4th, 2009, 21:00
There are plenty of utter morons on the road. Problem is, I find it dfficult to control my temper when someone is being an utter arse. I can't stand being insulted for no reason, and shrugging it off. I'm not the tallest around by any means (just bout 6ft) but I sure am built like a tank and I go to the gym 4/5 times a week, so I haven't really ever had much trouble.. but idiots and insults boil my blood.

I used to let people wind me up, but at the end of the day you're not likely to meet most of these people face to face, and even if you did, what would you do? Hit them, and get into trouble?

The way I look at it now, if someone is being an idiot, let them. When driving there is plenty to think about as it is without wasting mental energy thinking about some moron. I also think that getting wound up by idiots might affect my driving, and might earn me a run in with the law, or worse, might cause an accident. I refuse to allow some idiot to do that to me, so I just let their idiocy wash right over me and I just move on from it.

All that said, if I was in the situation Laney described I'd probably boot the brakes as hard as I could and let them smash their car up on mine, then call the police and say I've been hurt in an accident caused by a tailgater who couldn't stop in time when I had to do an emergency stop because a pedestrian ran across the road in front of me. But then only if I was alone the car because I wouldn't want to risk injury to my passengers.

the alarming man
Apr 4th, 2009, 22:08
Absolutely nothing, I was driving along minding my own buisness. I've mentioned on here before that certain neighbours have it in for me as they think I took someone to court for money they did not owe but even if that were the truth, which it isn't, it hardly justifies such behaviour! It was the boyfriend in the car who stole my 740 just after that. Recent comments from neighbours have been pointing out my car to their child and saying very loudly 'Look at the funny old car!' and 'Why would she bother waxing that old thing?' I'd like to see their Vauxhall Vectra, Fiat Punto and Suzuki Swift at 21 years old!!

Have to say that in general the response I get off of most, even intelligent, people when I say I belong to a Volvo forum is that it must be full of pipe smoking, cap wearing middle class fuddy duddies driving slugs, the old image still 'sticks'

I'm flabbergasted that the girl said 'I didn't think Volvos went that fast'! I'm surprised she didn't get stuck on for 'without due care and attention'!

I will take great offence at being desccribed as a pipe smoking,cap wearing.fuddy duddy,as at the age of 36 i have never smoked and as for wearing a cap nope not me,and as for being stuck on i guess if i had a pushed it that may have happened but her reply was just unbelivable:car-smiley-031:

stevo48
Apr 4th, 2009, 23:05
It takes all sorts to make a world and unfortunately there are those among us who still believe that Skodas are made from recycled baked bean tins and Volvos are plodding old barges driven by middle aged/old men, now to put that into perspective it just proves that there are a number of people out there who are just plain ignorant or downright stupid !
With todays technology a 1.6ltr engine can propel a car along at a very respectable speed and the "old barges" with the 2.0ltr+ engines can still out accelerate some modern cars albeit with a great deal more dignity.
It is drivers such as the lady in the original post that typify the ignorant among us.

the alarming man
Apr 4th, 2009, 23:52
It takes all sorts to make a world and unfortunately there are those among us who still believe that Skodas are made from recycled baked bean tins and Volvos are plodding old barges driven by middle aged/old men, now to put that into perspective it just proves that there are a number of people out there who are just plain ignorant or downright stupid !
With todays technology a 1.6ltr engine can propel a car along at a very respectable speed and the "old barges" with the 2.0ltr+ engines can still out accelerate some modern cars albeit with a great deal more dignity.
It is drivers such as the lady in the original post that typify the ignorant among us.

unfortunately i would not class her as a driver at all...driving?? a marked vehicle her driving should (no matter what rank or department she was/is from) be immpeccable

Laney760
Apr 5th, 2009, 00:09
A female police driver hit my friend who was parked and stationary and then tried to deny it. Fortunately it all turned out right and justice was seen to be done

Chris740R
Apr 5th, 2009, 01:24
pipe smoking, cap wearing middle class fuddy duddies

Sounds just like me that.

Citizen.Agfa
Apr 5th, 2009, 08:49
Sounds just like me that.

And me.

Except I don't wear a cap.

Or smoke a pipe.

And I live in a council house.

Apart from that, spot on!

Citizen Fuddy.

the alarming man
Apr 5th, 2009, 11:44
And me.

Except I don't wear a cap.

Or smoke a pipe.

And I live in a council house.

Apart from that, spot on!

Citizen Fuddy.

i am lost...pray tell what as a council got to do with it????....lol

Danneh
Apr 5th, 2009, 12:21
I used to let people wind me up, but at the end of the day you're not likely to meet most of these people face to face, and even if you did, what would you do? Hit them, and get into trouble?

The way I look at it now, if someone is being an idiot, let them. When driving there is plenty to think about as it is without wasting mental energy thinking about some moron. I also think that getting wound up by idiots might affect my driving, and might earn me a run in with the law, or worse, might cause an accident. I refuse to allow some idiot to do that to me, so I just let their idiocy wash right over me and I just move on from it.

All that said, if I was in the situation Laney described I'd probably boot the brakes as hard as I could and let them smash their car up on mine, then call the police and say I've been hurt in an accident caused by a tailgater who couldn't stop in time when I had to do an emergency stop because a pedestrian ran across the road in front of me. But then only if I was alone the car because I wouldn't want to risk injury to my passengers.

I don't let it affect me a lot when driving, well I try, but it just does **** me off. Face to face? I would let them throw the first/start the fight. That way I can justify my actions and claim self defence :)

D5driver
Apr 5th, 2009, 13:30
Police absolutely refused to take any interest in this occurence. I'm just waiting for the next similar instance,

I find this very hard to believe, i know the police are not exactly the best here, but with the evidence of two damaged cars and nothing done ???:nah:

Laney760
Apr 5th, 2009, 14:00
Police absolutely refused to take any interest in this occurence. I'm just waiting for the next similar instance,

I find this very hard to believe, i know the police are not exactly the best here, but with the evidence of two damaged cars and nothing done ???:nah:

I'll let you know what reasons they give the IPCC ;)

As for stupid, ignorant, selfish, careless drivers on the roads, I wonder how worse it's going to be when all the minor traffice offences are dealt with by local councils and not the Police? It won't be that long until the policy is put into action

the alarming man
Apr 5th, 2009, 14:16

Knowing how the traffic units operate i dont find it hard to belive at all...they have a saying D.I.G...which equates too Don't Get Involved!!!!!:thumbs_up:

Citizen.Agfa
Apr 5th, 2009, 16:20
i am lost...pray tell what as a council got to do with it????....lol

I find it very hard to be properly middle-class roosting in my council gaff! Lol.

Citizen "I don't look down on anyone" Agfa.

Volvonerd
Apr 5th, 2009, 19:51

I find it very hard to be properly middle-class roosting in my council gaff! Lol.

'Middle class' isn't as aspirational or means the same as it once did - now more than ever, it's a way of mind, manner and values. Not the bricks that surround you (unless we're talking about Volvos!)

the alarming man
Apr 5th, 2009, 21:51

well i dont know about that as my mum and dad live in a coucil house and they pay more rent than i do in a mortgage

keithyboy
Apr 7th, 2009, 07:52
'Middle class' isn't as aspirational or means the same as it once did - now more than ever, it's a way of mind, manner and values. Not the bricks that surround you (unless we're talking about Volvos!)

I always thought it was an term of abuse. If anyone accuses me of being middle class I throw a chair at them.

fowlerman
Apr 7th, 2009, 08:54
I always thought it was an term of abuse. If anyone accuses me of being middle class I throw a chair at them.

So would I. I would then get my gamekeeper to give them both barrels and then throw them in the moat.