PDA

View Full Version : Tyres and wheels

ed
May 27th, 2002, 22:06
Just a short one this time - tyre pressures for my 122s should be ??? The tyres are standard 165 14s I think. The only manual I have does not give pressures - anyone got a Haynes going cheap?! Also, those lovely wider looking steel wheels that I see on smart looking cars, are they estate rims (they were wider I think) or from a source unknown to me?
Cheers

wellshj
May 28th, 2002, 12:58
There way a 120 Haynes on Ebay for £5 or so a couple of weeks ago, it might still be there ( http://www.ebay.co.uk ), just search for 'Volvo 120'

The wider rims you have seen are made by welding new rims onto the original centres (The best method) or by welding bands into the rims (the cheaper method) the usual parts suppliers should be helpful with this.

I am at work at the moment and will try to rember to look up the tyre pressures for you thius evening unless soemone else helps out in the meantime.

wellshj
May 29th, 2002, 07:02
Unfortunately the Haynes manual actually says "refer to the handbook for recommended tyre pressures", which I don't have...

Mike Arnold
May 29th, 2002, 21:28
The recommended pressures are about 28psi. In fact I run mine at about 32psi because it makes the steering a bit lighter (although a slightly harsher ride).

ed
May 29th, 2002, 21:43
Thanks for that Mike, really appreciate your going out of your way. I think I've been running mine too soft, so it will be interesting to see if I can detect any difference. I'll chase those wheels though!

swenglish
Aug 12th, 2002, 22:55
Sorry to be so after-the-event, but I have to tell you that the original owners manual gives some very different figures for tyre pressures.
They are as follows:
1-2 persons front 20 lb.sq.in rear 23 lb.sq.in
5 persons+baggage front 20 lb.sq.in rear 26 lb.sq.in

If you over inflate your tyres the steering will go light due to the decreased surface area in touch with the road. This means less grip, and will cause your wheels to lock earlier and skid further in an emergancy. Not a good thing!

Tony Barrett
Aug 14th, 2002, 08:03
Dear Ed ,
I didn't know tyre pressures could cause so much verbiage ! Mike's advice is correct , the later quoted figures are for crossply tyres .
Give me a call about wheels , I have different types in stock .
Tony Barrett 0208 741-7500/3300