PDA

View Full Version : Leaking fuel....volvo 440 1.9td (with pics)

waynearees
Apr 11th, 2009, 13:16
I adjusted the throttle and the choke (I assume it's the choke at least) because my idle speed was too high, this worked out alright apart from the fact that I started to leak fuel and when I put my foot down in any gear from 3rd up it would just about redline and the clutch would just kick in....I have now played with it again and the redlining problem seems to have just about gone but it still leaks fuel from the green thing in the picture...I am not a mechanic and don't claim to know a great deal about engines so could really do with some advice, step by step if possible how to get things back to normal.....

Thanks in advance

waynearees
Apr 11th, 2009, 21:11
Now had a closer look and a play around...whatever that things is, I can't find it anywhere on the net, but whatever it is, has a lot to do with starting the car, I took the wire off the top and tried to start it and it wouldn't fire up...It also only leaks when the engine is running and is housed right over the injector housing....photo probably isn't that good (Sorry)....

Please help....

waynearees
Apr 11th, 2009, 21:17
Better picture added if it helps at all....the yellow circle is where the above picture was taken....

Clan
Apr 11th, 2009, 22:19
3287970 It is the fuel shut off valve that stops the engine when you turn the ignition off .

waynearees
Apr 11th, 2009, 22:52
3287970 It is the fuel shut off valve that stops the engine when you turn the ignition off .

Is there another name this would / could be known as...looked all over http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/Parts.asp for fuel shut off valve and nothing....

Is it common for this to leak and do you know if it's expensive to fix?

Thanks very much, never thought I'd find the answer....

myatt1972
Apr 11th, 2009, 23:49
Is there another name this would / could be known as...looked all over http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/Parts.asp for fuel shut off valve and nothing....

Is it common for this to leak and do you know if it's expensive to fix?

Thanks very much, never thought I'd find the answer....

Also known as stop solenoid.
Keith...

Clan
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:23
well believe it or not your volvo dealer will get one ! i have given you the part number ..last one i fitted 10 years ago was about £70

waynearees
Apr 12th, 2009, 09:23
[QUOTE=Clan;491245]well believe it or not your volvo dealer will get one ! i n

Thanks Clan, just one more question, could that also be linked to my other problem rather than glow plugs???

This thread posted here... (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=475960&postcount=1)

Clan
Apr 12th, 2009, 09:28
No as it is only a valve which allows the fuel through or blocks it like a tap .
The glow plugs are in front of you on the cylinder head roughly where you would expect to find spark plugs , they each have a thick wire held by a 8 mm nut , it's likely one or more are faulty , you should be able to test them with a multi meter without taking them out ..