PDA

View Full Version : Bird poop and car colour!

Tibbsey23
Apr 12th, 2009, 11:21
Bit of an oddball this one, but just wondering what peoples take on this observation is!

Up until a week ago I drove a bright red 945, now I drive a Burgundy 945... its the same car, I park it in the same places... but birds seem to see it as more of a toilet than the old one! In fact when I bought it it had succumbed to a dive bombing or two...

So has anyone any experience of colours that seem to attract bird excrement more, or have there even been any studies of such things?! I fail to see what a bird could be confusing a burgundy Volvo for!

Yeah I'm probably just disgruntled because I washed and polished it yesterday because it was covered in poop - now this morning, guess what?! :D

Laney760
Apr 12th, 2009, 11:39
I've got an article in a Science mag somewhere which says why pigeons prefer certain colours, honestly!

Danneh
Apr 12th, 2009, 12:15
The birds think of it as a big **** bowl :D

PS. Wtf to the guy above ^^^ LOL

robert-in-notts
Apr 12th, 2009, 12:26
yeh my dark green 850 gets coverd in it, so did the burgendy cav i had there before it, but yet my cav gsi, moonstone grey doesent get pooped on, even when it was in the same place

Blue 8
Apr 12th, 2009, 16:44
funny you should ask this, ive never thought about it before but now you mention it , i had a burgundy car before the Volvo that i have now , and yes both cars are parked in the same place ( out side my house) and yes the burgundy car was always getting hit with bird crap and some times in the summer it got covered , but my Volvo dosn`t seem to get touched and that's aubergine so not that different really how weird is that.

AndysR
Apr 12th, 2009, 16:59
I had heard it was something to do with the birds mistaking the shine of the paint work for water? Not sure how true that is?

Blue 8
Apr 12th, 2009, 17:08
I had heard it was something to do with the birds mistaking the shine of the paint work for water? Not sure how true that is?

What you saying , i don't keep my Volvo clean :blu-unhappy:

catch22
Apr 12th, 2009, 17:37
mines silver, and it gets shat on nearly every day. This house is in town, with basically no garden. House before that, four trees in the front garden. Dark green car, cannot remember bird poo being a problem.

Mind you here, we are approximately 100 yds from the canal basin, and its frequented by pigeons, ducks, swans, and seagulls. Never had swan or the duck poo, but the seagull variety can be quite messy. Yet you never see it on the drive way, so I'm sure they are some how induced to shat whilst flying over the car.

Laney760
Apr 12th, 2009, 18:39
Iirc, pigeons feel threatened by certain colours

Chris740R
Apr 12th, 2009, 18:47
I've had it for 3 consecutive days on my bonnet following a cleaning job. The car is blue. I think they just home in on the smell of polish and hard work.

Grim Deano
Apr 12th, 2009, 19:02
I had a metallic blue 5 series that i washed and polished in the morning then in afternoon i took my mother to a afternoon hospital appointment, was only there about an hour, when i came back to the car it looked like every bird in the town had used it for a toilet it was latherd it looked as if it had been paint balled lol

ITSv40
Apr 12th, 2009, 19:10
Both the Volvo and the wife's Fiesta are burgundy and don't seem to suffer. However when the Rolls is newly polished (medium blue over silver) and parked on the drive for a few minutes I can guarantee it will get bird sh*te on it somewhere.I've always put this down to sods law and birds not having any appreciation for quality and style. It always seems to happen when I am going out never when coming home.

Tibbsey23
Apr 12th, 2009, 19:33
I think they just home in on the smell of polish and hard work.

LOL, that was my assumption! My old 945 (see my pictures) had a set of crappy aftermarket roof rails fitted, I actually came down one morning to find birdy foot prints all over the bars, and lots of poop strategically splatted around the area. Not only could you see that he wasn't content just to do it in one position, I swear you could see how he shuffled his feet as he squeezed!!!

**Learning point** Roof rails make ideal perches for birds to stand on whilst they ruin your paintwork!

Be interested to read that article though Laney! Nice to hear that someone feels that my brick looks mean, even if it is all for the wrong reasons! :err:

tt82
Apr 12th, 2009, 20:09
dont really suffer with this problem but i believe birb poop is corrosive to your paintwork, so you need to wipe it off asap. if its dry leave a damp cloth on it for 5 min and then it should wipe off easily

The old Tank Master
Apr 12th, 2009, 20:50
Not tht i've studied it, but i have had 3 850's now, one blue, one silver and current Burgundy.

The blue one was an instant bird poo magnet, the silver one was ok, although the poo may have blended in to the paintwork better!

The current old tank though is fine, relatively few bird attacks, and judging by the first post that the birds were trying to turn red into burgundy, maybe that's the colour to go for (for the birds, anyway)!!

Cheers,

John

AcidicDavey
Apr 12th, 2009, 21:29
My Dark blue motor is always getting some wierd black and white smelly paste on it, always on the same place. Damn birds

robert-in-notts
Apr 12th, 2009, 21:48
ow well, time for me to get the .22 out

AcidicDavey
Apr 12th, 2009, 21:53
ow well, time for me to get the .22 out

hope your well stocked on ammo, your going to need alot lol