PDA

View Full Version : V70: - Fault in the engine electrnoic system

kent65
Apr 14th, 2009, 14:33
I have a 1998 V70 CD 2.5T auto estate with 177459 miles on it. and last weekend had a problem when pulling away from the traffic lights hard on the accelarator where the warning light came and the car died, there was a really strong smell of bad eggs. once I had stopped and attempted to start the card the car started but an even stronger smell of bad eggs and the car would not continue to run. The AA guy that turned up went through diagnostics and it came back as no error, but once he started it and ran for a few minutes the warning light returned and the diagnostics came up as Catalytic convertor or Waste gate error. Got car relayed home, started the car after 2 days and it ran at tickover for a good few minutes and I was able ro rev it freely but then the bad smell came back and the car started to falter pick up falter pick up falter and then died with warning light on. Any ideas what the problem can be as I thought if it would still run with a dodgy cat.

welshextreme
Apr 14th, 2009, 16:21
Hiya mate,

it defo sounds like the cat has gone, i had the same smell when mine went on my golf a month ago, i also had a knocking sound comming from the cat too

rippedoffagain
Apr 14th, 2009, 16:23
I'm not sure if yours has the second O2 sensor (the one after the cat that older cars don't have), but if it does, and your cat is bust, it will upset your engine management system.

Also, if that cat is now full of crud, and is affecting the rate at which the exhaust gases can escape, that would cause the engine to struggle.

The smell of bad eggs, sulphur, does suggest knackered cat to me but then there are people on here who know far more than I do that might have a better idea.