PDA

View Full Version : Amazon: - Short gear shifter mechanism

random_noise
Apr 16th, 2009, 20:21
This is a bit of a cross post with one I put on the brickboard forum here:
http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1344158&nr_no=1

Basically I'm wondering about putting in a remote gear shift / short shifter mechanism.

I'm going to be putting in an M41 w/ OD in place of the current M40.

Has anybody on here done the conversion? If so do you have any pics of the tunnel / shifter afterwards?

If anyone has any info/tips/pics they'd like to share it'd be much appreciated.

Also to Classicswede - I notice you have a couple of 140 breakers on ebay at the moment so might be interested in getting the mechanism from your good self if they are going spare?

jakobandhismakarov
Apr 16th, 2009, 20:30
This is a bit of a cross post with one I put on the brickboard forum here:
http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1344158&nr_no=1

Basically I'm wondering about putting in a remote gear shift / short shifter mechanism.

I'm going to be putting in an M41 w/ OD in place of the current M40.

If you get an M41 from a P1800 \ 1800 ES, they already have a short shifter mechanism attached the 'box cover. Dunno how you'd have to modify the tunnel though.

random_noise
Apr 16th, 2009, 21:00
If you get an M41 from a P1800 \ 1800 ES, they already have a short shifter mechanism attached the 'box cover. Dunno how you'd have to modify the tunnel though.

I already have the gearbox- kind of (it's actually attached to a spare engine which I have yet to pick up from Gerry who I bought thr car from).

Don't think it has the short shifter built on to it tho.

At the moment I'm just weighing up the options - I would much prefer the short shifter as it would make driving the Amazon more pleasurable for me (it's damn stressful trying to find reverse when you've got cars behind you ;) )

Destinys1965
Apr 23rd, 2009, 23:20
I would also like to do this for Destinys Amazon. I havent looked in the parts car yet, just got that baby for a $100

I am wondering if any kits are made for this same type of modification?

classicswede
Apr 24th, 2009, 19:55
There is 1 gearbox that I will be stripping for spare with a short shift off the 73 144. If you need it let me know.