PDA

View Full Version : 440 oil issues

rich tea
Apr 26th, 2009, 17:39
Hi all

Just bought a 95 440, had it a month. It has been fine till I got it MOT on monday with a service. The mechanic had issues getting the plugs out but won eventually, but since the oil change it seems to be leaking from the sump plug regardless of being re tightened again since to make sure it was on ok!!

Also I noticed a smell of petrol from the dipstick, which is puzzling me.

Finally how many miles should I expect from a tank, im looking like getting roughly 350 plus, but having been a diseaseal driver for last ten years im rusty with petrols full stop.

Cheers in advance

Rich

PAZ3154
Apr 28th, 2009, 15:08
did your mechanic use a new sump plug washer? if not that'll be your problem. as these are a collapsible washer they cannot be used again once removed. no amount of tightening will stop it leaking. a new one is available for about 70p from a dealer :)

Paul240480
Apr 28th, 2009, 20:29
did your mechanic use a new sump plug washer? if not that'll be your problem. as these are a collapsible washer they cannot be used again once removed. no amount of tightening will stop it leaking. a new one is available for about 70p from a dealer :)

Spot on, GSF will almost insist that you buy a new washer when they sell a 400 series filter. They charge a quid though for the washer LOL.

rich tea
Apr 29th, 2009, 20:55
sweet thanks guys.

To be honest I normally turn the buggers over down the years , but im guessing they are a bit sensitive these ones eh.

Only ever driven volvo trucks before this car so a whole new experience, good motor though!