PDA

View Full Version : Euro style number plates

Nick44
Apr 27th, 2009, 18:41
Hi All,
Can anyone give me a concrete answer to this one?
If I have "Euro" style plates with the blue GB bit in front of the cars number, does this remove the need to have one of the white oval GB stickers?
Thanks,
Nick.

steadvex
Apr 27th, 2009, 19:15
Hi All,
If I have "Euro" style plates with the blue GB bit in front of the cars number, does this remove the need to have one of the white oval GB stickers?
Thanks,
Nick.

yes. :thumbs_up:

Tibbsey23
Apr 27th, 2009, 19:24
http://www.signam.co.uk/Plates.aspx

"For travellers in the European Union, the use of Euroflag plates on the rear of the vehicle may be used instead of the oval national identifier sticker. "

I think Signum should be a fairly trustworthy source, In fact I would imagine they could get themselves into all kinds of trouble other wise!

Sadly though as usual, being English isn't enough, so I would need to supplement my plates with a GB sticker! .... boo, hoo, hoo :p

bigandquick
Apr 27th, 2009, 20:15
Hi All,
Thanks,
Nick.

Again, yes.

GMcL
Apr 27th, 2009, 21:42
More than 30 miles away from Calais I don't think anyone could care less.

My Volvo has a chrome G and B on the back, that's it. Could be confused with a one eyed, megalomaniac resident of Downing Street for all the Continental police seem to care.

Paul240480
Apr 28th, 2009, 20:19
Again, yes.

And again YES! As long as it's on the plate no worries.

nouze
Apr 29th, 2009, 09:34
Hi All,
Thanks,
Nick.

Yes again, and in fact it's enough if you only have a rear plate in EUR style!

johnjp
Apr 29th, 2009, 10:36
I`m not aware of any obligation to affix an identity of your home state to your car , when driving it abroad. I have never used such i.d. and never been stopped by authorities.
The style of number plate is another issue. As UK plates are of a different style to European plates, any that incorporate a `GB` flag must comply with UK regs.

Laney760
Apr 29th, 2009, 10:44
Hi, it was in the newpapers yesterday that the bill has only just been passed for these to become legal, so technically that until now they have been illegal and it said you must still use the oval sticky GB plates, will see if I can source this on the net

Here you go - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1173942/Drivers-finally-given-right-fly-national-flags-number-plates--theyll-illegal-Europe.html

Quote: The fiasco means that for the past eight years motorists with national flags on their plates have unknowingly been risking prosecution, a fine of £1,000 and an MoT failure for their vehicle.

nouze
Apr 29th, 2009, 12:37
Hi, it was in the newpapers yesterday that the bill has only just been passed for these to become legal, so technically that until now they have been illegal and it said you must still use the oval sticky GB plates, will see if I can source this on the net

Here you go - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1173942/Drivers-finally-given-right-fly-national-flags-number-plates--theyll-illegal-Europe.html

Quote: The fiasco means that for the past eight years motorists with national flags on their plates have unknowingly been risking prosecution, a fine of £1,000 and an MoT failure for their vehicle.

The EU logo plates were and are still legal.

Quote:
Eight years later: It has finally became legal for British motorists to fly their national flags on their number plates, though cars without the EU logo (top) will need to add an oval GB sticker to drive on the continent

Tibbsey23
Apr 29th, 2009, 12:43
The fiasco means that for the past eight years motorists with national flags on their plates have unknowingly been risking prosecution, a fine of £1,000 and an MoT failure for their vehicle.

Surprised they didnt make more use of this! Usually the powers that be will take any chance going to stamp down on any sense national pride, and of course get money out of the motorist...

Nick44
May 2nd, 2009, 07:48
You See!
I knew if I asked you Ladies and Gents I would get the answer. As has been seen in some of the posts, there is/was still some confusion on this.
A good precis seems to be that the standard "GB tagged Eu" plate removes the need for an oval GB sticker, and that as well as this you can now have a "flag" plate as decoration, but the flag bit has only just been officially allowed.
Many Thanks to all.
Nick.

Laney760
May 2nd, 2009, 11:02
You See!
I knew if I asked you Ladies and Gents I would get the answer. As has been seen in some of the posts, there is/was still some confusion on this.
A good precis seems to be that the standard "GB tagged Eu" plate removes the need for an oval GB sticker, and that as well as this you can now have a "flag" plate as decoration, but the flag bit has only just been officially allowed.
Many Thanks to all.
Nick.

From the article:

However, the UK flags will not be recognised by the European Union when British motorists drive to the Continent, and drivers risk a fine. Anyone with a UK flag on their number plate while driving abroad will, in addition, have to have an oval 'GB' sticker on the back of their car.

Bhowani 2
May 2nd, 2009, 13:09
Not a problem. Little flags on number plate, to which DoT Test man didn't take exception, and hasn't for 20 years, and paper GB plate which goes inside
the rear window, away from the heated elements, and is removed once I get back to the disUnited Kingdom. Stickers on paintwork - No(r)way !

Bhowani
FF LPG FF V70