PDA

View Full Version : V70 intercoolers

xco
Apr 28th, 2009, 22:44
Are there any known problems with warping intercoolers on the v70's anybody know?
No problems just curious

R-P
Apr 29th, 2009, 11:35
Interesting subject, as I've been told I probably have a leak in my intercooler.

This was said to me by a technical Volvo rep after driving in my car and me wanting to know if the whine/whisteling I heard was the turbo or not.

Have not investigated thoroughly and I have a diesel, not sure if you wanted to know about petrol or diesel, or if the intercoolers are even the same...

According to this rep, the swaged input and outputconnections (from radiator to rubber tube) do come loose sometimes. If this is due to warping, he didn't say, but this would make some sense.

So in short: I dunno. :)

Bernard333
Apr 30th, 2009, 08:35
Get someone to sit in the car and run the engine at 2500 to 3000 rpm steady and then stand in front of the car and check for air being blown out the front or into the engine compartment from the intercooler , if its a bad leak you will feel it ( making sure also that the fan isnt kicking in ) next squeeze the large diameter inlet rubber tube when the turbo is boosting the tube should pressurise although the pressure is less than 15psi you can see and feel the tube go hard , if there is a bad leak then this wont happen as much . Check for oil stains on the front which will point to the area where the leak is , there are some good photos on the forum somewhere showing burst intercoolers . I did all this and then convinced ( despite having no real evidence ) I had a burst intercooler and removed it , cleaned it all up and then replaced it , didnt find a leak , most dissapointing , and then went on to remove the turbo which although its still whining there is nothing serious wrong with it so put it all back . There is no point feeling the pipe unless the trubo is boosting as there will be no pressure , if your intercooler is badly leaking or burst then you should notice some power loss when driving . At some point when I have a bit more time I will remove the intercooler again and clean it out properly , there was a lot of gunge in mine but I think this would need some solvent to get rid of it . The intercooler is very important , you can get a 10bhp+ increase on a D5 engine just by fitting a more efficient intercooler .

xco
May 1st, 2009, 00:58
Thanx chaps i'll bear that in mind.