PDA

View Full Version : 440 1.9 td idle speed problem / eratic behaviour

Adi2727
Apr 30th, 2009, 15:18
Hello!
I'm dealing with a problem on my 1.9td.
The engine is D19T266.

The basic problem is that the engine hasn't enough fuel.
Every time I check the fuel filter is quite empty.

I checked the lines from the fuel tank and inside the tank also & everything is ok. The solenoid shut-off valve, also. And all the rubber pipes from the engine compartment.
I am changing the fuel/air filter at most 4000miles...

What else should I check?

Thank you!

Adi2727
May 1st, 2009, 19:04
Another thing... this behaviour is happening much freqvently when the tank is less than a 1/4 full.
I checked the valves from the tank cap an everything is ok.
Any ideeas? :animal-smiley-075:

bvs
May 2nd, 2009, 00:12
My 440 TD tended to 'cut out' with the fuel gauge down at the red sector,I assumed it was a broken/clogged feed pipe from the tank,but since the car ran ok with a higher fuel level I didnt worry about it too much,I never did get round to looking in the tank before I sold the old girl :D

cheers baz

Adi2727
May 2nd, 2009, 12:07
Thanks! ;)

If only the fuel will be the problem I wouldn't ask. I could easily try to drive with a more fully tank.
The problem that is worrying me is that if i'll drive more with not enough diesel to the fuel system... i might broke the injection pump.
And I also noticed that in those conditions, is hard to go faster than 100miles/h...
Also... somethimes after high rpm, the engine stops. :(

carl4u44
May 2nd, 2009, 12:50
This seems to be a common problem when the gauge is in the red. I wanna get to the bottom of this myself!

bvs
May 2nd, 2009, 17:18
Adi
You could try clearing the complete fuel pipe using low pressure air from the fuel filter to the tank.
I have had a clogged fuel pipe on a car before,in a sandy/dusty country - and we cleared it that way.
If the pipe is clear perhaps the fuel pump is not 'sucking' hard enough...ie worn out ??
Is there another filter/screen inside the fuel injection pump ??

edit...just had a look at your profile...your car is the same colour as mine was

regards baz

Adi2727
May 3rd, 2009, 12:10
Thanks Baz!

I tried this procedure to clear the fuel pipe with pressured air from the fuel filter last year, with good results.

After several procedures like this I decided to take the fuel whirlpool from the tank out and check it.
There were some hair down there, blocking the whirlpool, something like a... cat's hair. :)
I repeated this cleanup several times until nothing were found.

Last year the symptoms were much worst and a lot of white smoke when the fuel line were blocked... This time I have no smoke at all... and the lines from the fuel filter to the tank are OK.

Next thing to do, will be to check the injection pump. I'll try to find a DIY to do this procedure on my own. I'm my own mechanic to my car. There is little knowledge for my car on the local workshops. :)

Best regards,
Adi