PDA

View Full Version : V70 D5 advice required

pricey
Apr 30th, 2009, 18:22
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and Volvo's in general and i'm just after a little bit of advice.

I'm going to look at a V70 D5 SE AWD at the weekend and I want to know if there is anything in particular that I need to be looking for with this model other than the general mileage related wear and tear issues.

The car it's self is a 2005 '55' manual with 141,000 miles and has the euro IV 185bhp engine. I've read threads about the angle gears on the AWD system being a bit fragile but they all seem to be relating to the R, does this use the same AWD system as the R or is it a different one?

I've also read threads about the euro IV being less economical than the euro III, is this the case and if so is there a big difference in the economy.

Sorry for all the questions but I want to go fully prepared.:)

Robbijay
Apr 30th, 2009, 18:45
I've also read threads about the euro IV being less economical than the euro III, is this the case and if so is there a big difference in the economy.

My 185 gets about 44 mpg combined mnow the weather has got a bit warmer, I do use either V-Power or add Millers to keep my injectors clean though. the awd wouldn't be quite as high as this obviously). I think the main reason the 185 uses more fuel is from when it cleans out the DPF (you can do a search for that on here or google it).

Adi2727
Apr 30th, 2009, 19:20
Hy!

Check the turbo, the clutch and the injectors. Those are expensive parts.
In full throttle if you're gonna have lot's of black smoke, there might be a problem with the injectors.

Good luck! :thumbs_up:

xco
May 1st, 2009, 01:05
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and Volvo's in general and i'm just after a little bit of advice.

I'm going to look at a V70 D5 SE AWD at the weekend and I want to know if there is anything in particular that I need to be looking for with this model other than the general mileage related wear and tear issues.

The car it's self is a 2005 '55' manual with 141,000 miles and has the euro IV 185bhp engine. I've read threads about the angle gears on the AWD system being a bit fragile but they all seem to be relating to the R, does this use the same AWD system as the R or is it a different one?

Hiya .Check out PARKERS for review info on all models euro 111 and 1V included :thumbs_up:

pricey
May 1st, 2009, 22:11
I think the main reason the 185 uses more fuel is from when it cleans out the DPF (you can do a search for that on here or google it).

Ah, I didn't realise the 185 had a DPF. That will explain it then.:thumbs_up:

Hy!

Check the turbo, the clutch and the injectors. Those are expensive parts.
In full throttle if you're gonna have lot's of black smoke, there might be a problem with the injectors.

Good luck! :thumbs_up:

Many thanks for that.

Some good reviews on Parkers but not much about the AWD. Is there anything in particular that I should be checking for with this system?

xco
May 2nd, 2009, 03:13
Google it

cumbrianmale
May 2nd, 2009, 13:46
The early AWD cars had issues with the transfer boxes. Don't think the newer Haldex cars are any worse the others. Remember to rotate tyres front to rear every 5k miles to even out the wear.

GMcL
May 2nd, 2009, 14:00
The only smoke you should get from any euro IV is a whitish ash when regenerating. Any black smoke is a no-no.

Not sure anyone knows what the longevity is of a D5 DPF though. It burns off any trapped soot internally rather than using the Eolys system of the 2.0 and 1.6D from Ford / PSA.

Volvo-in-my-blood
May 3rd, 2009, 17:48
In it's current guise the D5 (185) has been around for three years. That's sufficient time for some high milers to show up and test the longevity/reliability of the system. I've not seen anything on this or any other forum about problems. Has anyone else?

Clan
May 3rd, 2009, 18:04
In it's current guise the D5 (185) has been around for three years. That's sufficient time for some high milers to show up and test the longevity/reliability of the system. I've not seen anything on this or any other forum about problems. Has anyone else?

The 185 engine hasnt given much trouble at all . The early ones have the swirl channel throttle actuator rod ball joint break but most of these will have been replaced by the later type or repaired by now , The DPF hasnt given any problems yet . No Injector problems now

Volvo-in-my-blood
May 3rd, 2009, 23:31
The early ones have the swirl channel throttle actuator rod ball joint break but most of these will have been replaced by the later type or repaired by now

What's the longevity of the part and what does replacement cost?

Clan
May 4th, 2009, 08:05
The original type would break between 36000 miles and 54000 miles , the repair was very costly around £500 to remove the injectors and engine cam cover to fit new parts , all covered by warranty of course . Recently some bright sparks at volvo have devised a £3 repair kit ! The later engines from 2006/7 are modified and dont have the problem . Otherwise a fantastic engine .