PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

rick250561
May 2nd, 2009, 11:21
After a bit of info on insurance.

My wife drives a Clio and it cost us £1,300 to insure it with my 18 year old son as a named driver. If we do not insure it for him to drive it will drop to less than £300.

My son runs his own car (Corsa) which he has insured fully comp, which allows him to drive any car with the permission of the owner providing it is not under a lease agreement.

My question is:

If we insure the Clio for just myself and my wife then my son drives it under his own insurance policy, is this legal?

capt jack
May 2nd, 2009, 12:06
As I understand it, yes, it is legal, BUT - and it's a big but.

Whilst he is driving your Clio his cover will almost certainly be only third party, so if he has crunch you will lose out big time. Also, if the car is stolen whilst in his charge, then again, you'll have no claim.

Please be aware that this is all IMHO, and you need to check and double check with both insurers. before letting Jr loose in the Clio.

And don't take a chance. I know a lad who simply moved a mates car from one parking space to another. He didn't have insurance cover, but it's something anyone of us might do without giving it a second thought. He was spotted by Plod - and it cost him his licence. He caused no damage, didn't hurt anyone, but the magistrates threw the book at him.

It seems as though when it comes to young men and cars, the authorities inevitably take the toughest line.

Cheers

Jack

cumbrianmale
May 2nd, 2009, 14:11
As I understand it, yes, it is legal, BUT - and it's a big but.

Whilst he is driving your Clio his cover will almost certainly be only third party, so if he has crunch you will lose out big time. Also, if the car is stolen whilst in his charge, then again, you'll have no claim.

Please be aware that this is all IMHO, and you need to check and double check with both insurers. before letting Jr loose in the Clio.

Cheers

Jack

My understanding is, if he has the 3rd party extension on his policy (check the wording and call to be sure) then he is covered to drive your car.

In the event of an accident, his insurer is the first party, himself the second and everyone else the third party. So the car he hit and yourselves would claim as third party on his policy. If it was stolen in his care then I assume you would have to claim from your own policy.

We have a member who is a broker so hopefully he can give a clearer indication of what is right.

Personally I wouldn't rely on internet discussions as evidence but call both yours and his insurers.

rick250561
May 2nd, 2009, 14:17
Cheers guys.

As you say I will not be using the info from here as gospel, just as a sounding board really to back up my initial thoughts. The policy is not due for renewal until late June so no great hurry.

Would be nice to hear from anyone who has first hand experience of this method though.

4wheeldriver
May 2nd, 2009, 21:19
Jesus!! 1300 quid for a Clio. And I thought I was expensive at 18 paying 120 TPF&T!! im getting old lolol

simons
May 3rd, 2009, 21:40
i would check with his insurance company as if he is under 25 he can not drive any other car on his insurance fully comp or not thay changed the law a couple of years ago
going by what my insurance company told me last year (tesco) so could be wrong

andyv70t5
May 5th, 2009, 10:09
i would check with his insurance company as if he is under 25 he can not drive any other car on his insurance fully comp or not thay changed the law a couple of years ago

Yes I've heard this as well. 25 or over to drive a car on someone else's insurance provided the driver has fully comp insurance and has permission

malcolmk
May 5th, 2009, 11:46
hi, just a couple of thoughts to clarify,if anyone is driving a vehicle under their own third party extension any other cover, ie fire & theft would not be covered so it is always best for the owner to be the last person in charge, in order to avoid disapointment if the is a claim, also it is very rare to get the third party extension for anyone under 25 yoa or any one conected to the motor trade,so if anyone has changed jobs since they last signed a form ,you must tell insurance company as they can take the extension away or make it invalid, also it only applies if you still insure the car, regards malcolmk

S40_Paul
May 5th, 2009, 13:29

Agree with this, Im 24 and not allowed to drive any other vehicle on my policy, even though the online comparison site said I could,my policy arrived saying I could not. I'd be suprised if they would allow him to drive 3rd party fire and theft.

The only company I do know that did do it for under 25's was Quinn Direct but they may have changed that now.

rick250561
May 5th, 2009, 13:53
I know that he can as he recently had a courtesy car when his went in for repair, he checked with his insurance company who told him his policy covered him.

Will be checking it out properly anyway, but nice to hear your opinions/experiences in advance

Danneh
May 5th, 2009, 14:15
I know that he can as he recently had a courtesy car when his went in for repair, he checked with his insurance company who told him his policy covered him.

Will be checking it out properly anyway, but nice to hear your opinions/experiences in advance

Hey mate,

I can safely safe he is not allowed to drive any other car with permission.

I;m 18 aswell, and I can drive another car, but ONLY loaned from a garage whilst my car is being repaired or serviced. That is the only exemption. For DOC cover, I think it is, it is almost always, always 25 or over. I'll eat my hat if he can drive any car under DOC with permission at 18 !! ;)

simons
May 7th, 2009, 08:35

about 4yrs ago i had a bin lorry back into my nissan 100nx and was given a courtesy car and told by my insurance that i would be covered in the courtesy car but not to drive any other car as it was not supplied by them

quinn still let under 25s drive any car as my sister is with them and she is driving my mothers at the mo as i was fixing hers