PDA

View Full Version : 1800: - Modern 1800s 600+bhp

blind-dog-birtles
May 6th, 2009, 23:22
Anyone else read this story on pistonheads? looks pretty cool to me.
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=19858

Kauai1800
May 7th, 2009, 01:41
Thanks for finding this to post!

It's really a cool idea. And even though I'm very fond of an all-original car, it's great to see a modern transformation like this. Plus it should put 1800s even more into the realm of a 'cool' car (not that we don't know it, but this can inspire folks who are too young to have ever seen an 1800 on the road).

A couple things I note..I read they had hired a firm to do renderings, but these images seemed just too good to be anything but actual photos, but upon closer inspection, I see that indeed they are computer renderings - not a real car. I make watches, and I am amazed at the skill of our own graphic artists in making realistic photoillustrations of our timepieces - but still, these are VERY good ones. Look at the reflections in the bodywork for example. However, you can see that the "CAUTION LOW CLEARANCE" sign has been "cloned" and resized - see the identical rust patterns?

One thing I find pretty neat is the way the designer has turned the cowhorn bumpers upside down and recessed the headlights. I'm not as fond of the Ferrari-esque hood scoop (for a supercharger?) though.

If you read the comments on this Pistonhead board you can see there's some debate as to if the wheels are too large. I think they work well for this modern interpretation.

Overall, I can't see but how revamping the 1800s look for 2010 can be anything but a good thing for those of us who love the originals.

222s
May 7th, 2009, 10:31
One thing I find pretty neat is the way the designer has turned the cowhorn bumpers upside down

Ditto. However the rear is far too reminiscent of an early / mid '60s 'Vette, especially with those bumpers. Pity about the door handles though - the late 1800S & 1800E / ES has the handles visually integrated into the chrome trim along the rear wing top & something reflecting that would have looked superb.

blind-dog-birtles
May 7th, 2009, 12:59
I aggree totally regarding the wheels, a little oversize! Have you noticed the amazon estate this guy did in previous years, (picture to be found amongst the comments on pistonheads) hopefully the 1800s when finished will look just as stunning.