PDA

View Full Version : Engine squeak on accelerate and decelerate

carl4u44
May 7th, 2009, 21:55
OK when engine torque is engaged mainly in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear I often get a short squeak coming from the rear middle or belt side of the engine. Initially I thought this was the drive belt slipping, so as part of service I renewed the drive belt, water pump and timing belt with all tensioners. Yet its still there! Now it has me thinking its possibly an engine mount although under inspection all seem to be OK.

I have noticed the lower rear mount which sits on an 'eye' shaped bracket (near the gear selector rod to transmission) which looks as if it would be suspect...but it looks OK!

Anybody any ideas or similar issues?? oh shes a 440 td with 200k

Clan
May 7th, 2009, 22:13
I think you will find it is the gearchange rod forward bush squeeking , the long rod which goes from the gear lever to the gearbox .. may as well fit a new bush and use some CV joint grease on it ..

NI_Volvo_Nut
May 7th, 2009, 22:23
Wouldnt be clutch squeal? Is it just as you take up drive or when the turbo kicks in?

carl4u44
May 8th, 2009, 07:48
I think you will find it is the gear change rod forward bush squeaking , the long rod which goes from the gear lever to the gearbox ..

checked that, removed old worn rubber and applied grease to it. To be honest this was squeaking and I thought it was the culprit.....but with no luck and its no were near as loud! however where can I get a gear change rod forward bush to replace it?

Exhaust manifold is all solid.

Yes volvo nut its only when I start off, for example I can apply the handbrake whilst holding biting point 'on and off' in 1st and thus rock the engine is the best way to constantly hear it while station. But its more of a squeak no squeal and its short bursts at gear change. It differently sounds like a rubber squeak tho....would love to get it up to yours some weekend for a visual!

carl4u44
May 10th, 2009, 22:44
May have hit the nail on the head here. Exhaust clamps from manifold to the turbo have springs lol loosened and a bit of wd40 before a retight had an impact. I'll no for sure in the morning when I head to work!