PDA

View Full Version : Really really tempted to do my practical test...

Steve and his 244
May 11th, 2009, 21:40
Hi all. Ive been having driving lessons since my birthday on 3rd march. Ive had 21 1/2 lessons so far and im just about there. Im paid up for another 3 1/2 lessons but my instructor is on holiday at the moment...

My instructor is renowned for not letting anyone rush anything and for taking everything really slowly, and in my opinion im just about ready - but in his opinion I need 2 or 3 more lessons and then a mock test and then go for the actual thing.

Thing is im really really tempted to just book myself a slot for doing my practical test in my car and go ahead and do it. I reckon id pass if between now and then I went out in my car and really made sure I was getting every detail right....

The other option is to wait for my instructor to get back and do as he says and do my test in his car (have to pay for 2 lessons in addition to the test - 1 as a warm up and 1 for using the car for an hour to do the test)

Should I, shouldn't I?

Steve

scottishvolvo
May 11th, 2009, 21:50
As much as we all know how much you want to be let loose with Thor(and quite rightly after what you have done with it) my advice(which might not be worth anything) is to wait till your instructor tells you. He has possibly been teaching for a number of years and will be experienced in knowing when. It looks great for him when he can say he has had 'X' amount of first time passes.
Only my opinion.
No doubt others will say that the longer he has you learning the more he will make, but once you pass there will be someone else to take your place.
Good luck

Guru
May 11th, 2009, 21:57
I say surprise him! :D

gazbak1
May 11th, 2009, 22:35
i would book it now as the wait list can be booked up for months!

Steve and his 244
May 11th, 2009, 22:48
According to what my instructor says there is only a 2 week waiting list at the moment at the local test centre....

alexx
May 11th, 2009, 23:37
Depends if you believe him or not.. Id say if you can get everything spot on in your own car then go for it... comes down to nerves on the day usually not the ability.

keithf
May 11th, 2009, 23:40
You've paid for them so you might aswell do them and then take the test.
The best comes to those that wait! Good luck whatever you do!

stevo48
May 11th, 2009, 23:48
I've no desire to p#ss on your bonfire Steve but do you really think you are ready to take your test after such a short time?
You may feel confident enough but the examiner will be looking for every little fault and they are getting even keener with younger drivers because of the increased number of accidents involving young drivers, by all means go ahead and do what you will but patience is a virtue and taking those few extra lessons could make all the difference when it comes to the test.
You are a very confident young man and to some extent a very mature young man but think carefully about what you intend to do, if you fail you will be so p#ssed at yourself for being headstrong, good luck mate in whatever you choose to do.

migrator
May 12th, 2009, 00:28
My son was in the same boat - driving for a time before and during the period when he was taking lessons from an ADI. He too was rather confident in his abilities. He did however wait until his instructor said that he believed he would pass the test.

These driving instructors have a number of pupils who will be at various stages in their learning. They will have booked some tests for definites, possibles and speculatives. From the number of possibles and speculatives there will be a number of cancellations. These cancellations will be passed on the definites to bring their test dates forward. It is probably from that that you have been given a two week period.

I think that the mock test approach would be a good way to go. Your instructor will be au fait with the test routes in your area and will take you round one of these giving you instructions in the same way that the examiner would. He will also be noting down any faults - as the examiner would. He will not tell you how it is going until the end - unless you get really bad.

I say wait until the instructor gives the thumbs up and then go out and demonstrate your abilities to the examiner (a demonstration not a test) and you will be there. You can use your own car provided it is 'street legal' and has at least one additional mirror fitted for the examiner to use or you can use the instructor's car - whichever gives you the more confidence. You will get through it but you will feel better for getting it right first time - the instructor is not just trying to get a few extra bob out of you.

The Purifier
May 12th, 2009, 19:19
I would wait til your instructor says you're ready. You have to trust his opinion and if he says you need a few more lessons you should go with that. The extra practice will benefit you. Another thing, you might find your instructor may be very harsh on your mock because he will want to iron out any small problems that an examiner may mark you down on

john h
May 12th, 2009, 19:57
Steve,

You know my views... go for it!

All points above are valid and well made. I'm a bit more cyncal about the driving instructor... after all, saying you need more and more and more lessons just earns him extra money and makes a pass a bit more likely, but doesn't necessarily mean value for money for you.

My thoughts in a bit more detail:

I have not taken a driving test in a long time, so I don't know the standard they will pass nowadays.
But, I have seen quite a lot of your driving now from the passenger seat. You drive better than other people I know who have passed a test much more recently.
Unlike most young male drivers (myself included, at your age) you are not overconfident.
You need to concentrate hard, when doing so you make no errors.
You need to think ahead with the gears; change down before (rather than when) the engine is struggling.
If you fail first time, so what? It gives you the real test experience and of course you'll be told exactly where you went wrong.

So, on balance, I think I'd give it a try.

Cheers

John

Steve and his 244
May 12th, 2009, 21:44
Hmmm im still in 2 minds...some people say go for it, some people say be patient.

I think my chances would be 60/40 on passing, but I think if i spent the time leading up to it doing loadsssss of driving in my car puposefully making myself correct all the little mistakes I make - check the door mirrors aswell as rear view mirror etc etc.

The other thing im worried about is wat is my instructor going to say when I tell him ive ignored his professional advice and gone ahead with my test, especially if I failed!

Steve

scottishvolvo
May 12th, 2009, 21:50
Just a wee tip in case you haven't been told already for whenever you sit it. When you need to look in a mirror, don't just glance by moving your eyes, make it dead obvious by turning your head.

john h
May 12th, 2009, 22:02
The other thing im worried about is wat is my instructor going to say when I tell him ive ignored his professional advice and gone ahead with my test, especially if I failed!

Steve

A: Oh. You passed then. Well done, I suppose you won't be wanting any more lessons.

or:

B: Told you so

Steve and his 244
May 12th, 2009, 22:09
Yeah I know, its just a bit awquard to say, thats all.

Steve

john h
May 12th, 2009, 22:20
Yeah, I know. Really it's whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

John

the alarming man
May 12th, 2009, 22:25
Hmmm im still in 2 minds...some people say go for it, some people say be patient.

I think my chances would be 60/40 on passing, but I think if i spent the time leading up to it doing loadsssss of driving in my car puposefully making myself correct all the little mistakes I make - check the door mirrors aswell as rear view mirror etc etc.

Steve

Steve just go for it....the thing is if you fail you go back and do it again,also and i am going to duck for cover:hidesbehindsofa: here but a A.D.I is in it for the money and he would far rather you have 4 lessons than just 2 and what can he say apart from i told you so:thumbs_up:

john h
May 12th, 2009, 22:29
Steve

BTW, I'd put your chance of passing at 70/30 if you get nervous, 90/10 if you don't.

John

Steve and his 244
May 12th, 2009, 23:15
Im more and more tempted to go ahead...but 2 deciding factors:

1) If I do my test and pass before the national, I then wont have insurance to drive to the national BKV (im on a learner 4 week policy that is void when you pass). I doubt I could sort insurance out before then - and im not just talking about costs. Clue: Dad is a wan......

2) It the waiting list has changed and its more like 4 weeks or something, ill leave it and get my lessons done and do as my instructor advises. If its 2 weeks ill probably go ahead and do it...

Steve

Chesh740R
May 12th, 2009, 23:33
To be honest I'd try and book a test now whilst your instructor is away. If the waiting list is so short then you've got nothing to lose by giving it at go (ok the test fee) but make sure you just go out every night in the run up to the test and do practice test stuff.

You've been riding a scooter about daily so you have experience of road craft and how traffic will or maybe react.

I wouldnt be suprised at the point when your instructor says, ok book a test and then you cant get one for about 8 weeks, he turns round and says, oh well we'll just have a lesson or two a week in the run up to your test. Nice way to keep extra cash rolling in.

But if the waiting time is a while then you can stay with your instructor and just say ok the test is on this date lets work towards that date.

My personal experience was

I'd ridden a Moped for a year, then took my Full Bike licence on my 17th birthday as they were just about to bring in the theory test 4 days later and the restrictions on bike capacitys for under 21's.
So I had plenty of road experience, I'd driven my dads car on airfields since i was about 11 so knew how to control a car, when I turned 17, i had about 2 hours with my dad in my brothers car(alas it caught fire whilst out driving it so didnt get to drive it again)

We then booked a lesson with an no bull**** instructor, that my brother had and several other family friends. He took me out for my first lesson, came back and said your very good, we just need to work on the various manoevours for the test, so book a test as soon as you can and we'll have a lesson a week until the test to get you ready. I got a test date in 4 weeks time, so we that one lesson a week in the run up to the test and then an hour before the test and then i took my test and passed. I had the examiner that all my school mates had got and been failed with, but i sailed through.
All told 6 x Driving lesson £66 + test fee which i think was £33 back then. So bargain.

If you feel confident book it, if you pass, great, if not at least you'll really know what its like when you take your second test using your instructors car.

Chesh740R
May 12th, 2009, 23:35
Clue: Dad is a wan......

kel engine enthusiast and won't let me insure something with a normal piston engine?????

Sorry i've been to the pub....

testmonkey
May 13th, 2009, 02:01
Hi Steve, let me chuck my 2 pennerth worth into the ring.

Firstly let's start by giving some background on my own situation. I'm an ex-motorcycle instructor who finally got round to taking their car test last year after more than 20 years on bikes. During that time I had driven cars on numerous occasions and did take a car test originally back in 1990 but failed. I did 10 lessons + the hour before and test. I could probably have got away with 4 or 5 but extra time behind the wheel is exactly that and didn't do me any harm.

I would say wait till your instructor gets back and then talk it over with them. You've already booked the other lessons and if there's a longer waiting list just take some time off from your instructor and drive your own car in the interim. My instructor went on holiday for a few weeks (I booked the test a while before hand but had to take a later date for when he got back) and I didn't have any lessons with him for 4 weeks prior to the test week. I don't subscribe to the 'getting extra money out of you' theory - there's no shortage of people out there wanting lessons at the minute.

Here's a couple of things you may want to consider as well:-

Examiners are only human! Whilst they are on the whole impartial they do know the driving instructors very well and therefore know what to expect from the candidates they get. If you turn up in your own car they don't know whether you've had any professional instruction or not. If your drive is good this won't be an issue but if there is a fault that they could class as minor or major there is always the chance they'll class it as minor if the rest of the drive is good and they know you've had the correct instruction.

The other issue is the car. The examiners are very comfortable with the driving instructors cars as they are in them all the time. They know the cars are well maintained and also know the individual characteristics of each of those models as well. With your car they will give it a thorough inspection and are perfectly within their rights to refuse to conduct the test if they are unhappy with it in any way (check the DVLA website as there are some specific requirements for the test vehicle although there's no reason why your car won't be fine). They'll may also want to check through your MOT and insurance which again they don't usually bother with on instructors cars (you just sign a decleration that the car is insured and road legal). It's just more things which could add to your own stress levels on the day.

One of the key factors on the test is putting the examiner at ease. They suffer with nerves just like anyone else and just knowing the vehicle they are getting into and the fact you've had proper instruction takes their heart rate down a beat or two :)

Whichever choice you make I wish you the best of luck!

Steve and his 244
May 13th, 2009, 08:03
To be honest I dont get that nervous for tests - at least not like a lot of people...

I usually have a bit of a "what if I fail?" moment before the test but then I just tell myself to shut up and do my best - exactly what happened on my theory and I passed first time....

Would I not get a chance to mention to the instructor that ive had 21 lessons with my instructor? (which I know is a very good independent instructor that knows the examiners)

I dont mind them checking my car over - it usually ends up in a nice comment :D

Am I allowed to tell the examiner to keep his feet on the mat and his clipboard off the dash?! *runs away and hides....*

Steve

Blue 8
May 13th, 2009, 08:16
Steve if you feel confident, book your test you have absolutely nothing to lose, apart from the fee :thumbs_up:

Have faith in yourself , book it -take it-pass it :thumbs_up:

Ive just taken my PCV test, bus/coach) my instructor told me i needed 30hrs , now that's a lot of money , i like yourself don't really suffer with nerves and thought after 10 i was good enough so booked it anyway , passed the test said thank you to my instructor and im now a coach driver :st-wink:

testmonkey
May 13th, 2009, 19:55
TWould I not get a chance to mention to the instructor that ive had 21 lessons with my instructor? (which I know is a very good independent instructor that knows the examiners)

In a word, NO! The examiner won't ask you about your training history and just throwing it into the conversation is actually likely to turn the examiner more against you - both from the 'oh he thinks that impresses me then' angle and also on the basis that the average pupil now has more lessons than that before passing so they'll maybe see you as under trained so to speak.

Conversation may not be an option either. On my test I had the chief examiner at the local test centre and as it was raining I made a remark about it being a great day for it on the way out to the car. The grunt I got in return made it plainly obvious he wasn't interested in engaging in conversation :)

AndyPants
May 13th, 2009, 20:25
Personally I think you should wait that little bit longer. You've trusted your instructor this far, spent so long tinkering with your car and even got the lessons booked. Even if you passed it would be less overall experience under your belt with professional tutition. Plus it would seem a bit impolite to your instructor.

When I passed my test first time 4/5 years ago now I was getting a bit impatient but I held on a little longer and I think it was worth it. Although I did actually think I had failed during the test as the examiner gave me a late instruction to turn off when I was doing 60 in the wet. I also did the pass plus (saved me £300 on insurance too!) thing afterwards which again every little bit of instruction helps, even if it does cost a bomb at the time.

Felt really unreal when I was told I had passed. What I'm allowed to drive a car? Legally? Something I've wanted to do since well forever? Oh thats nice... Took a while to sink in :)

t5pete
May 13th, 2009, 20:40
Hi steve i passed my test in 3months with 1 lesson a week if you feel ready and know you are able to do it why not have a go at least you dont have to pay for the driving instructors car.
The main thing that would concern me is how comfy are you with the thorn as most learner drivers only pratice with one car and with the thorn you dont want to kurb them wheel so might put you off parking too close to the kurb if you get what i mean it depends if you feel comfy doing it in the 240 if so go for it.
pete

dodgyken
May 15th, 2009, 09:22
I breezed through on 13 lessons (including the hour before the test) - with 11 weeks of passing my 17th birthday.

Unfortunatly we are all individuals and one persons 13 hours on the road could take someone else 130 hours to achieve. There is no substitute for experience - and there is a huge leap from passing a test to being able to drive properly - and on to be able to drive very well.

Steve and his 244
May 15th, 2009, 09:43
Thanks. ive been thinking this over for the past couple of days. Im going to leave it and insure my car again for another 4 weeks on a learner driver policy as I did before.

Reasons:

1)Ive already got 3 1/2 paid up lessons to do when my instructor gets back off his holiday - thats £70 worth...

2)I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want to be able to take Thor to the national BKV at Thoresby Hall in June, and if I pass my test the only way i'll manage that is if by some miracle I manage to talk Dad into letting me insure it, or by letting someone else drive Thor to the national.

3) I'll feel like a complete idiot if I booked it now and ended up failing and then having to prove my instructor right. Plus I dont want my instructor to think im an idiot - hes a nice enough bloke and good at what he does.

So basically, the only reason i would be doing my test early, would be so I could say "ive passed my test". In reality all that would mean is that I couldnt drive my car yet because of insurance, I probably couldnt get it to the national, and I would have annoyed my instructor.

Steve

Chris_C
May 15th, 2009, 12:19
I think you've made the sensible decision, when I passed my test and was having the chat with the examiner at the end (the chief examiner I was told by my instructor, how liked to fail 17yo blokes for a hobby :() he picked on on one thing I'd done, I'd made a desive look over my shoulder when joining a dual carraigeway to make it obvious I'd done it, but obviously for too long. He said that he'd normally give a major for it but as he knew my instructor he knew if I did that normally she would have been screaming at me :D

They do know the instructors and I'm pretty certain they know what the instructor thinks of the pupil. Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to seeing Thor at the National

acshortt5
May 15th, 2009, 12:55
If you are taking it at Wakefield test centre then I would say you need to do everything possible to make the test a routine run of the mill test for the examiner.

Not wishing to doubt your driving ability but I don't know anyone who has passed 1st time at Wakefield (myself included - I passed on the second attempt) it was and probably still is one of the strictest test centres in England.

I would recommend going in the instructors car (I'm assuming it's something like a corsa which should make 3 point turns, road positioning etc easy).

You had better practise reverse bay parking because they do it 99% of the time at Wakefield - and its a pita as its on a steep slope as well.

When you take the test don't be afraid to take your time, better to get a minor for being a bit slow than a major for rushing and cocking it up.

Steve and his 244
May 15th, 2009, 14:40
Thanks guys - yeh i think the decision ive made is logical. The only reason to do my test earlier was to save a few quid on lessons (inferior after ive paid my insurance!) and so i can say ive passed my test...

Andrew - I know they are pretty strict at wakey, but I wouldnt say they were that bad. Theres a few mates at school passed first time, only one person has taken more than 2 attempts (and that was a blonde girl...:lol:)

Daft as it sounds, I dont want to go in the instructors car. I find my car much easier to drive even with no PAS. Visibility is FAR better. Stupid C pillars on the 3 door fiesta just make it impossible to see.

The only thing im not too good at is the reverse round a cornere manouvre. In the instructors car he tells me to "line the curb up with the ford lettering and do this and then do that when the curb re-appears" etc etc. Its the stupidest thing in the world.

Its also got a really bitey, jumpy clutch that I hate whereas my car youve got to practically forget youve got a clutch to make it stall....

Manouvres:

Reverse round a corner - can do it far better in my car.

Turn in road - can do it just as well in my car

Parallel park - can do it just as well in my car

Bay park - just need to practise judgement of wheres the front and back of the car is. Important when the car is longer than the space!

Steve

acshortt5
May 15th, 2009, 16:25
The only thing im not too good at is the reverse round a cornere manouvre. In the instructors car he tells me to "line the curb up with the ford lettering and do this and then do that when the curb re-appears" etc etc. Its the stupidest thing in the world.

Manouvres:

Reverse round a corner - can do it far better in my car.

Turn in road - can do it just as well in my car

Parallel park - can do it just as well in my car

Bay park - just need to practise judgement of wheres the front and back of the car is. Important when the car is longer than the space!

Steve

AFTER you've past your test you'll soon learn to park using the force :thumbs_up:

Steve and his 244
May 15th, 2009, 16:30
I just need a rubber pad on the end of my towbar. when it hits I need to stop! :lol:

the alarming man
May 15th, 2009, 19:40
I think you've made the sensible decision, when I passed my test and was having the chat with the examiner at the end (the chief examiner I was told by my instructor, how liked to fail 17yo blokes for a hobby :() he picked on on one thing I'd done, I'd made a desive look over my shoulder when joining a dual carraigeway to make it obvious I'd done it, but obviously for too long. He said that he'd normally give a major for it but as he knew my instructor he knew if I did that normally she would have been screaming at me :D

They do know the instructors and I'm pretty certain they know what the instructor thinks of the pupil. Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to seeing Thor at the National

thing is on test they WILL ALWAYS find fault even if it is a perfect drive

testmonkey
May 16th, 2009, 00:31
thing is on test they WILL ALWAYS find fault even if it is a perfect drive

Not necessarily! I know of a couple of people who got clean runs but they are very rare to come across. A couple of my motorcycle trainees got clear passes as well.

I almost got one myself. Stupidly I pulled away from the side of the road (downhill) without putting the thing in gear properly and it slipped out. I stopped and corrected that then at the end of the same road I clipped the curb with the back wheel turning left because I was still beating myself up from the previous mistake. When the examiner (chief examiner, known to be harsh) said I'd passed I said I couldn't believe it as I thought I'd failed based on those errors. He said 'no, I would have given you a clear if it wasn't for those'. I think I was more annoyed at myself for not getting a clear pass after that than I would have been if I'd failed. My instructor was a bit miffed as well as he lost bragging rights - I would have been the first clear pass he knew of with that examiner for some time.

AndyPants
May 16th, 2009, 11:58
Daft as it sounds, I dont want to go in the instructors car. I find my car much easier to drive even with no PAS. Visibility is FAR better. Stupid C pillars on the 3 door fiesta just make it impossible to see.

Its also got a really bitey, jumpy clutch that I hate whereas my car youve got to practically forget youve got a clutch to make it stall....

My learner car was the same - a '02 Clio with stupid big pillars at the back that made reversing around corners hard. When my instructor stopped telling me to look where the pillar was and use the side window I found it a lot easier. I also didn't like the namby pamby controls in the Clio, I prefered my '93 Seat Ibiza :D Although the clutch on my car was far worse and had no PAS. As others have said though I'd still think going in the instructors car would be better as its what their (and probably you in terms of driving it) more used to.

Can't say I find reversing around corners hard these days (although maybe its because no one tells me I'm doing it wrong!) although my reverse parking is pretty crap since I don't do it very often!

ovlov25
May 16th, 2009, 19:20
Good luck with whatever you decide Steve.

To put things in perspective I recently did my Cat C license after 2 lessons, I got 9 minors (allowed 15) according to the examiner it was a very good pass.