PDA

View Full Version : Non Volvo question about suspension

John_C
May 17th, 2009, 13:41
OK slightly rambling story but bear with me ;)

Mate of mine has a latest-shape Astra and heard a knocking from the rear of the car, he describes it as happening when he goes over a bump and there is some lateral load on the car at the same time. It was pronounced enough that he thought it was something in the spare wheel well knocking but he has taken everything out of the boot space and it still happens.

He was thinking rear ARB bush or shock mount which I reckon is quite likely.

Took the car to Vauxhall main dealer who have diagnosed a failed FRONT shock and say the sound is being transmitted through the car which is why it sounds like the rear.

Frankly I smell bull droppings but I'm not close enough to him to go and look at the car anytime in the next week, it's a five hour round trip and I'm on call 24x7 :(

Done some searches on vauxhall forums but can't find anything, just wondering if anyone on here has come across this before.

I've convinced him to go and get a second opinion and also check a couple of things on the quote he's been given - the quote sounds wrong to me but I don't want to post about why until he's checked it.

Cheers,
John

Laney760
May 17th, 2009, 15:16
Don't know if you remember but I raised a thread in the lounge about my friend's Vauxhall main dealers trying to make her book her Corsa in for cam-belt change. Her Corsa was chain driven yet they consistently argued with her it was belt-driven until her brother, an engineer, stepped into the equation. Always good to get a second opinion

the alarming man
May 17th, 2009, 17:02
OK slightly rambling story but bear with me ;)

Mate of mine has a latest-shape Astra and heard a knocking from the rear of the car, he describes it as happening when he goes over a bump and there is some lateral load on the car at the same time. It was pronounced enough that he thought it was something in the spare wheel well knocking but he has taken everything out of the boot space and it still happens.

He was thinking rear ARB bush or shock mount which I reckon is quite likely.

Took the car to Vauxhall main dealer who have diagnosed a failed FRONT shock and say the sound is being transmitted through the car which is why it sounds like the rear.

Frankly I smell bull droppings but I'm not close enough to him to go and look at the car anytime in the next week, it's a five hour round trip and I'm on call 24x7 :(

Done some searches on vauxhall forums but can't find anything, just wondering if anyone on here has come across this before.

I've convinced him to go and get a second opinion and also check a couple of things on the quote he's been given - the quote sounds wrong to me but I don't want to post about why until he's checked it.

Cheers,
John

i dont like vauxhall main dealers,has he thought about running it into a kwik fit(or the like) as they will give him a free quote and no need to take them up on it,although does seem funny but does he get a vibration through the steering wheel??...my last encounter with a vauxhall main dealer ended up with my 2 year old vectra catching fire!!:thumbs_up:

TonyM
May 18th, 2009, 09:10
My V40 has a knocking sound in similar circumstances. That has been diagnosed by the stealers as a noisy front strut. Apparently they can get noisy with age (it is 10 years old) but its still working OK and has passed a couple of MOTs.

That noise often appears to come from the back. I guess a shock wave in a metal box is likely to manifest itself where the metal can vibrate the easiest (e.g. the floor panel in the boot area, rather than around the strut mounting which is far more rigid).

John_C
May 18th, 2009, 11:21
I've checked with my friend and there is no vibration through the steering wheel.

He's going to speak to the garage today to get clarification on exactly what the score is and will go from there.

Cheers,
John

ovlov25
May 18th, 2009, 18:00
Astras used to eat rear springs, not sure about the latest model but a dodgy front shock doesn't add up.