PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Idle control valve gone?!

ahal
May 21st, 2009, 16:36
Um, hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the idle control valve is in this engine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/volvo480/2040938881/sizes/l/in/set-72157594478149757/

I followed the excellent linky in another thread, went out and bought my carb. cleaner, and then went looking for the ICV like an idiot lol

The engine in the pictures on aforementioned thread is indeed the Volvo one as is in my 480. The one in my 440 - the one which has me stumped - is the 1.8 Renault unit.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

grass hopper
May 21st, 2009, 17:21
LOL, the b18u dont have one ! is the car idling/running poor ?

Clan
May 21st, 2009, 18:08
It does actualy , It is the black electric motor which the throttle stop rests on . That controls the idle speed . It is a motor and a switch in one unit , if ity plays up it will be the switch in it rather than the motor ..

ahal
May 21st, 2009, 18:40
LOL, the b18u dont have one ! is the car idling/running poor ?

Car runs fine except for sudden stops: the revs go up and down and then it settles. In extreme cases it just stalls outright.

Clan: sounds like an interesting variant, where would I find this? I mislaid my Haynes a while ago ( for what little use it was anyway ) ...

Thanks,

Tony

Clan
May 21st, 2009, 18:44
looking at your picture it is on the side of the electronic carb between the carb and enging cam cover .. it is hidden by the air filter trunking in your pic .
to see if it's working , when you turn the engine off , it should open the throttle a bit ready for the next start , when you start it the motor will colse the throttle a bit and move a bit until rpm has stabalised if you see no movment go for a new motor assembly

grass hopper
May 21st, 2009, 20:46
my mistake had thoughts you were looking for the IAC valve,clan is right,the engine does have a stepper motor that is basically a motor with a plunger that pushes against a cam on the spindle,its on the drivers side and is visible,this is working as the revs flare up and down,worth having a look at the vacum pipes on the back of the inlet manifold that go to the air pressure sensor on the firewall,these can split and draw air *one of the pipes has a small restrictor in it* also inlet manifold gaskets can blow and draw air,this can also cause poor idle,recomend have a look at the dizzy cap these are always burning out..