PDA

View Full Version : Anybody an auto spark?? 440 td headlight faults

carl4u44
May 21st, 2009, 23:04
OK just installed the HID kit. Looks great and works well...

So then I took headlights out to clean them up and fix the adjusting wheels for the realignment. Then the following morning I reinstalled them. All worked well until I could smell a melting wire every time I turned the lights on.

Turned out to be the blue/red wire connecting to the flasher/indicator stalk, which also branches off to the High beam dash light.

To solve this I cut the wire going to the High beam dash light and all was fixed except for no dash light.

I noticed the fuse (21, right main beam and control lamp) was blown. So I disconnected the HID's and replaced the original H4's, now both High beams work but main beam on the right doesn't with of course another blown fuse.....

There seems to be an earthing fault. I checked the light switch, bulbs etc. Now I'm thinking I have fried the relay. But which one could I test as they all look the same?

I'M also using a phase tester. The driver side h4 connecting block showed a complete circuit between earth (brown wire) and green/blue wire when the lights are off? According to the manual this is my main beam wire.

I'm lost! But not beat!

Hid's work great but would still like the reassurance of the old h4's working and of course my high beam dash light!

carl4u44
May 22nd, 2009, 09:02
Just an update...

I'm almost sure I snagged a wire whilst putting the drivers side light unit back in. Will keep this posted, oh and I'll get a few pics up of the HID's.

carl4u44
May 22nd, 2009, 14:07
All fixed lol! :thumbs_up:

When I mounted the HID balast behind the passenger light, I put a screw through the wiring loom :lightning:. Very lucky.

Indeed I did notice my engine temp a little high, as the white wire coming off the fan was also hit in the wiring loom! lol

carl4u44
May 23rd, 2009, 10:49
OK well now that I fixed my earthing fault which I caused my self I'm now having problems with the HID's.

Note my normal hadlight bulbs work perfect and as they should.

With ignition off the HID's will turn on and off as normal but flicking the high beam will cause them to stay on high beam until I turn the lights off.

Secondly, with ignition turned on, the lights come on automatically regardless of weather I turn the lights on or off. Again the high beam sticks on until I turn the ignition off and light switch off.

Is there a relay problem? Are the side lights causing a confliction? My relays in the triangle box are not labeled so I'm guessing from there. Or indeed I have fried the HID relay box.

Shame really as they look great but I need them to work perfect before I'm on the road!

NI_Volvo_Nut
May 23rd, 2009, 11:15
Hey carl, sound like 1 of 2 things, either a relay or the balast box, what happen if you put the H4 bulb back in again?? May be a sticky switch also, but doubtful.

Clan
May 23rd, 2009, 11:27
You have dim dip headlamps dont you? That will be keeping them on with the ignition .
And with HIDs dont use the headlamp flasher they dont work as fast as a normal bulb they take some seconds to warm up and the main / dip mechanism doesnt like being flicked or it sticks until reset i found this with a set i had ..

carl4u44
May 24th, 2009, 18:04
Hi, all my normal h4 bulbs are working fine. Thing is when the earthing fault occurred and was temporary fixed - I smelt a soldering smell for a brief period.

The hid's were working fine before the earthing fault. I'm now guessing i fried the control box for the HID! lol awk well I'll try get it replaced, then keep you all posted.

Really wanted to get some pictures up! Oh and my led side lights arrived off eBay to match the HID's and they look great. Got more satisfaction out of them for £3.49 delivered than the HID kit it self!

I have the HID control box out and in front of me. Its a sealed unit or I would investigate - does smell a bit funny after all. Silly me putting screws through wiring!

carl4u44
May 27th, 2009, 22:58
OK all fixed now lol got myself a new control box and wiring off eBay, with two new bulbs (8000k). Looks great, trouble is when the lights warm up and I switch to high beam they wont flick off unless I tap the control box (sticky relay?) or manually turn off the lights and on again. The control box which acts like a relay doesn't seem to be of the highest quality.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8572/dsc00092stj.jpg