PDA

View Full Version : Engine...again!

floorit
May 25th, 2009, 20:35
Hi all, as I am a newbie to Volvo ownership I am still a little rusty on what model goes with which engine. I would like to know what model this engine sits in and if it was originally a turbo? there is a particular reason that I need to know these facts and it would take forever for me to explain it fully but it involves another make of vehicle and plenty of head scrathing while transplanting!

NewVolvo
May 25th, 2009, 20:39
Hi all, as I am a newbie to Volvo ownership I am still a little rusty on what model goes with which engine. I would like to know what model this engine sits in and if it was originally a turbo? there is a particular reason that I need to know these facts and it would take forever for me to explain it fully but it involves another make of vehicle and plenty of head scrathing while transplanting!

Well, the first 16v engine that Volvo made was fitted in the 740 GLT 16v and came out around 1988 or so (my father had one). It was a 2.3l with 159 bhp (the turbo had 156 bhp) and first only available with a 4 + OD manual gearbox (OD = overdrive - button). Auto came year after.

It was not slow by any means.

For the italian market, a 2.0l 16v Turbo with 200 bhp was available. Not sold any where else afaik.

Your pictures could be any of those I guess.

floorit
May 25th, 2009, 21:31
Shame that the turbo version ist available,these engines must have more to give than 156bhp with a bit of work.bit more digging me thinks!
thanks anyway.