PDA

View Full Version : Window Winder

viperv
May 28th, 2009, 21:50
Broke my left ankle this month and can't push the clutch in on my 122 so I thought I would take some time and fix some of the little things and get it tight for when I can drive again. The passenger window winder chain on my keeps coming the sprocket keeps jumping off leaving the window in the down position. If you baby, it it will work for a while, but my passengers don't seem to get concept of babying it. I've been able to get in there and put it on track alright but its getting old. It looks like the chain is wrapping several times around the sprocket as it rolls up. Is this right? or should there be enough tension for it to feed over the sprocket and not wrap on it? Appreciate the help.

Derek UK
May 29th, 2009, 12:43
There is a tensioner for the wire that's connected to each end of the chain. It can be adjusted, it's at lower rear of the door. More likely is lack of lubrication possibly causing something to seize or making it hard to turn. More common on the passenger side as it tends to get less usage. The gear wheel can get worn or lose teeth but not too common. The cable attachment to the window lift bracket can also come loose and the cable needs to be correctly positioned before it's re clamped.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/delukx/R0012389pfs.jpg

viperv
Jun 4th, 2009, 01:35
Thanks It didn't look right winding on the gear. I'll take the door apart and fix it right. I've got to figure out a way to drive it first. My left ankle is broken and I can't push the clutch in. I'm going to try and drive it with one foot. I think I can start it moving in 1st with no gas peddle, then I'm all set. I was also thinking of mounting a bar to the peddle so I can push it in by hand. I've got to figure out something soon. The car is just sitting at my friends house where I had my accident.

terrormister
Jun 5th, 2009, 23:36
I suggest you rest that ankle, give it some rope. It's not worth the risk of driving, possibly causing damage to both car and foot! Ask a mate to help tow it then you'll only need the break

regard Dr Lenehan