PDA

View Full Version : Amazon: - Clutch Cable Routing

edworcs
May 29th, 2009, 18:03
I could do with knowing the correct route for the clutch cable on my Amazon.

I have two cable fixings (see attached photo). One is attached to a bracket on the thermostat housing, but for the love of Mike, I can't see where the other attaches. Anyone got any tips?

Side story. I'm sensitive to this as I have just done it incorrectly leading to a small fire when a cable to the alternator was touching the clutch cable. Both cables fried and fortunately we put the tiny fire out before it spread. Stupid mistake, but I'd prefer to get it right the next time!

Oh, and next time I'm going to start by taking 1001 photos _before_ I start any work.

Derek UK
May 29th, 2009, 19:57
Is this a late B20 car? If so the cable goes over the roll on the cross bar and the in front of the top rad hose befor doubling back to the clutc. Not sure about clamps but it shoouldn't get anywhere near the alternator wiring. Make sure the engine to body earth strap is good. If bad or missing ,the earth when starting has to find it's own way and that can cause fires. Red hot choke cable for example. Can also include the clutch cable.

Moosejaw
May 29th, 2009, 21:54
Hi Ed, don't know if this is any use but here's a pic of my B20B engine bay showing the route taken by the clutch cable. (Well, until it disappears between the block and the alternator, anyway) On mine, there's a bracket on the water pump to which one of those clips is attached. Whether or not this is a standard part on my quarter-million-miler I've no idea!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2471/3576249293_b81c3b22af_b.jpg

Sorry if the picture's a bit big, I can't figure out how to post it as a thumbnail image.

Derek UK
May 29th, 2009, 23:47
Smoother run for the cable here. This set up for brakes and clutch on the RHD cars doesn't do much for the looks under the bonnet, but not much else they could do.
I hope the owner doesn't mind me posting this pic of his very nice car. It is up for sale. Maybe even sold now?
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/delukx/Hollingsworth1.jpg

edworcs
Jun 1st, 2009, 22:13
A big thanks for the swift help with this.

The answer was much easier than I thought. I already had the thermostat housing bracket, but guess what turned up under the pile of tools on the workbench? You got it, another bracket. This fits directly under the petrol pump and bolts into the block. I used another rubber clamp to fit the cable to this second bracket. The clutch cable is now a good way from any alternator cables and a fire extinguisher is next on the shopping list.