PDA

View Full Version : Black and Silver No# Plates

AcidicDavey
May 29th, 2009, 21:57
Do any of you guys know the law when it comes to Black and Silver Plates?
You know the classic ones?
I'd really want them on my car as I think they look so classy, but only if they're legal on a Yr 98 car.
Plus does anyone know where to get them from?

Clan
May 29th, 2009, 21:59
They are legal on cars older than 1973 ( K reg ) ie with the free Historic road tax , you can use musical air horns on those too .

Citizen.Agfa
May 29th, 2009, 22:08
They are legal on cars older than 1973 ( K reg ) ie with the free Historic road tax , you can use musical air horns on those too .

If I might disagree (in the nicest possible way, of course!), I think vehicles registered prior to Aug 1 1973 are allowed to sport black and white or black and silver plates; Jul 31 '73 was the end of the "L" suffix and vehicles registered the following day got the "M" suffix and compulsory reflective number plates. Prior to this date use of reflective number plates was optional.

C.A.

Clan
May 29th, 2009, 22:16
ah well only 6 months out , not good as i'm running E and a K reg cars :-) ( First time around )

Citizen.Agfa
May 29th, 2009, 22:21
K plate - ah, the memories! My first wheels, a Yamaha 50cc step-through, a copy of the famous Honda Cub (City Utility Bike), mine on HP for the glorious sum of iirc £112. Registration? TVV 717K. Just seventeen and freedom beckoning, what bliss!

Citizen Old.

Laney760
May 29th, 2009, 23:02
So what we need is someone to go on Dragon's Den with the invention of black and white and black and silver reflective plates but no doubt the Government would still find reasons to disallow them on modern cars.......

the alarming man
May 29th, 2009, 23:32
So what we need is someone to go on Dragon's Den with the invention of black and white and black and silver reflective plates but no doubt the Government would still find reasons to disallow them on modern cars.......

well you say that but they have relented somewhat...you can now (from i think the 1st may) use license plates with your country of origin...i.e you can now legally display the flag of st george..:thumbs_up:

pdr944
May 30th, 2009, 08:23
if you can have a flag on your plates i,m having the jolly roger.

peter (the pirate)

the alarming man
May 30th, 2009, 13:56
if you can have a flag on your plates i,m having the jolly roger.

peter (the pirate)

i dont if you can go down that route....think it is just country of origin:thumbs_up:

pdr944
May 30th, 2009, 14:50
i dont if you can go down that route....think it is just country of origin:thumbs_up:

bugger !!!

Tibbsey23
May 30th, 2009, 15:23
If you squint really hard and tilt your head a bit, it does look a little like the Cornish flag... that strange lot down there think that Cornwall is a country :)

And cheers Agfa, I didnt realise that CUB was an acronym!

AcidicDavey
May 30th, 2009, 21:58
I'm really confused now as I've seen newer cars with reflective black and silver plastic plates. They must be breaking the law!! OMG lock them up!!

Tibbsey23
May 30th, 2009, 22:13
Yep, Chavs love em, but they have to be sold "for off-road use only" I.e. for show cars etc

Illegal, yes
Stupid, yes
Lock them up, yes
Throw away the key, yes

Course on some cars they do look the part, pass the MOT though they will not!