PDA

View Full Version : V70: - Water in rear light

Rossi-fan
May 30th, 2009, 08:00
Keep getting water inside the rear light cluster, anyone else had the same problem.

pdr944
May 30th, 2009, 08:09
yes a had this problem with my xc90 in the O/S rear light.i removed the light fitting and there was a circular section at the base of the fitting that can be removed to allow any water to drain away so no more filling up.never found out how it was getting in though.

peter.

Rossi-fan
May 30th, 2009, 08:26
yes a had this problem with my xc90 in the O/S rear light.i removed the light fitting and there was a circular section at the base of the fitting that can be removed to allow any water to drain away so no more filling up.never found out how it was getting in though.

peter.

Yeah, mines on the o/s as well peter, I'll take the light back off and check that out. Are they the same lights on the v70/xc90? Its a pain getting them off, i had to take half of the rear door trim, and the trim at the top of the rear side window off to get to the bolts, unless you know an easier way?

Thanks PETER

pdr944
May 30th, 2009, 20:10
no the bottom part of the xc90 rear light comes off seperate and is quite easy to remove.two hexagonal extended bolts with internal threads that screw onto threaded studs that are part of the rear lens.i think the len,s are slightly bigger than the v70.

peter.

Rossi-fan
May 30th, 2009, 22:17
no the bottom part of the xc90 rear light comes off seperate and is quite easy to remove.two hexagonal extended bolts with internal threads that screw onto threaded studs that are part of the rear lens.i think the len,s are slightly bigger than the v70.

peter.

Sounds a bit more straight forward than having to remove half the cars rear trim. Thanks again peter.

cejones
Jul 5th, 2010, 15:50
Hi

I have a similar problem on my XC90 (Jan 2005) - I found the rubber seal but not before the water has corroded the metal in one of the bulb holders. Does anyone know what the part number is for a replacement wiring harness for the rear cluster (Driver side)? It looks like it should unplug inside the car and each bulb holder unscrews from the cover.

Thanks

Cled.

mjam
Jan 31st, 2013, 11:14
Hi

Re: Xc90 rear light cluster

I had a warning that one of my rear lights need replacing. I took the rear light cluster out and it is full of water ! Anyone had a similar problem and know how to fix it ? I saw in one post that there is a hole that can be opened at the bottom of the cluster but I am wondering why isn't the hole open by default and where does the water go if the hole is open? Is there some sort of rubber seal that stops water getting in? I am going to get out later today and see if I can see anything. Had a quick go yesterday but only wiped contacts in bulb holder with a cloth but new bulb did not work. The bulb holder has corroded so need to clean the contacts properly.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Maz

mjam
Jan 31st, 2013, 14:55
Hi

Got around to taking a look today. I saw the hole at the bottom of the light enclosure but still not sure why it would be left closed. If I did open it I am not sure where the water would go. I think the water must have been there for ages as one of the bulb holders contacts has corroded. I am going to see if I can get one from somewhere, cut off the old one and use a connector to reattach.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Maz