PDA

View Full Version : PV544 Transmission Swap

muldo
Jun 1st, 2009, 02:10
Hello All, and greetings!

My fiancee inherited a PV544 with the B18 engine from her grandparents. It is in immaculate, original condition and will require some rust repair in a few years, but for now it's still a great driver.

The only problem is that she can't drive it. We've tried to teach her to drive the four-speed, but she just can't do it.

I've done some research and although I can't be 200% certain, the Borg-Warner 35 automatic transmission was offered in conjunction with the B18 in some vehicles, and as such should be a direct bolt-up to my B18.

Is this true? Is there another option?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike in Calgary

Derek UK
Jun 1st, 2009, 11:13
When I was young I was told that there was no such thing as "can't". If she's never driven with a manual box I can see though that it might not be an easy transition if she starts out with the PV. Maybe best to get some lessons or familiarisation with a small Toyota or similar. They will drive much easier and will help with coordination. Perseverance and a few lessons would be much cheaper than the conversion costs, in fact it could be cheaper to buy a small car to get used to manual and sell it afterwards.
Fitting a BW35 can be done, has been done, but it means cutting out the floor to fit it. It's wider than the standard box. Needs cutting out right to the bulkhead. Gear selector will have to come from a non Volvo source to put it centrally on the floor unless you can manage to adapt the Amazon column change. Shorten prop shaft etc. Not a job for the faint hearted.
If it's a pretty nice original car, it would be a shame to chop it about. It would almost certainly reduce its value. That's your choice though.

muldo
Jun 1st, 2009, 16:28
So not without major surgery huh? Ok, that's all I needed to know!

I'm no stranger to major mods, but am unwilling to do them in certain cases, this being one of them. The only reason I inquired was because these cars are (ha ha) foreign to me and I just didn't know enough about part interchangeability to be sure.

Thanks again!

Mike in Calgary

agent_strangelove
Jun 2nd, 2009, 21:08
The BW35 is also a slush box. It's sucks a lot of power out of things... I have one in my 122 since it was custom ordered that way. The BW35 is wider like Derek said and would require pretty major surgery (also it's supported from a different place than the m40).

I know it's your car but leave it original if you can...

muldo
Jun 4th, 2009, 21:30
I agree 100%

I have no intention of butchering this car. It will be left in original condition. Like I said, I would only have done the swap if it could be completely reversible. Slush box or not. If I could have put it in with nothing more than adapters and what not, maintaining the integrity of the car, I would have done it so that my fiancee could enjoy the car without worrying about driving a four speed.

However, since it obviously requires cutting as well as bolting it won't happen. She'll just have to learn how to drive it!

Thanks for the answers folks!!!

Mike

muldo
Jun 4th, 2009, 21:32
Since it was mentioned, what is the current market value for a "good" PV544? I know it's a loaded question, just looking for a ballpark.

Mike