PDA

View Full Version : Amazon: - Electronic ignition

Lucien
Jun 2nd, 2009, 18:07
Hello all. Could I ask some advice on electronic ignitions?

Basically I'd like to know whether they are worth fitting, and if so which one is recommended?

I have a B20B with a mildly uprated cam and sports exhaust.

From a flick around this forum, I see people talk about:
- Aldo
- 123ignition
- Flamethrower?
- Luminition.

If anyone has any experiences of the above, I'd be grateful for your views.

I'm not doing any events so don't need to stay stock. My interest is in reliability, efficiency and performance.

Kind regards
Lucien

Steve and his 244
Jun 2nd, 2009, 18:36
I dont know if the distributor on your car will be the same as mine, but I imagine it wouldnt be far off. I have fitted a Hot spark kit whish I found to be very easy to install and made a definite improvement to engine smoothness, and no doubt it improves MPG too, although I havent actually tested it before or after...

Its just 2 wires: One to -ve side of coil and one to +ve. Its also just a 5 minute swap back to the original points system should it fail...so I carry a points and condensor kit in the boot....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRONIC-IGNITION-KIT-FOR-VW-BEETLE-BUS-CAMPER-T3_W0QQitemZ260421477176QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca2546338&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

(Its advertised for a VW, but they are exactly the same dizzy, so that was irrelavent)

Steve

DuncanS
Jun 2nd, 2009, 21:36
Hi

I fitted a 123 to my 1800ES. I found that starting is much easier and quicker and the engine definatly runs smoother. Probably just compensating for wear in the distributor. No problems starting in damp / cold weather. The car also seems to accelerate a bit better but that could just be wishfull thinking! I have not measured fuel consumption so can't tell if its improved or not.

Hope this helps
DuncanS

Moosejaw
Jun 3rd, 2009, 16:32
That Hot Spark kit looks pretty good value and worth a look I'd say, so long as they do one to fit whatever dizzy you've got. I did have a Lumenition Optronic in my B20B Amazon until Xmas, but it got harder and harder to start until it just wouldn't start (no spark) and I gave up and reverted to good old points and condenser.

And you know what? It rubs better on them than it ever did on the leccy ignition. Go figure!

Mike Arnold
Jun 3rd, 2009, 20:27
I have a Sparkrite on mine and I feel that it makes starting better. It uses the old points so it is probably less accurate than the optical/magnetic systems but at the flick of a switch it goes back to conventional (if the transistors blow up).

I have seen them for sale on eBay although production stopped years ago.

Just to add that fitting an electronic ignition will require cutting into the armoured cable so that you can steal a 12V feed to the unit.

mountain
Jun 3rd, 2009, 22:32
give Rob at Amazoncars a call, he has plenty to say about the 123 systems, he is also very helpful.

0044 1379 388 400

Lucien
Jun 5th, 2009, 18:39
Hi All, thanks for your advice. I'll try giving Amazon cars a call. I see also that there is a way to fit the electronic ignition without cutting the armoured cable, so I'll probably have ago at that.

Cheers
Lucien

jimbo1593
Jun 7th, 2009, 11:07
petronix very good search on here.

Paul 1800S
Jun 12th, 2011, 22:24
@Lucien : Did you find a way to fit the 123Ignition and preserve your armoured cable ?

My 123Ignition has been sitting in the basement for 3 years for that reason :-(

940_Turbo
Jun 12th, 2011, 22:50
@Lucien : Did you find a way to fit the 123Ignition and preserve your armoured cable ?

All you need is a relay to make it work with the armoured cable. Do check that you have it right by measuring that the feed to the 123 is dead with the ignition off. If not it'll drain the battery overnight.

http://brits-n-pieces.com/pdf/tipps_und_tricks/Relaisschaltung_123ignition_Panzerzuendspule.pdf

Paul 1800S
Jun 12th, 2011, 22:55
Thanks.

I just found kolbenkipper's post on the relay and the alternative diode system in this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40463

Very helpful. The diodes look the simplest, but I'll get a shop to do it cleanly.... I'm not much of an electrician.

asneddon
Jun 13th, 2011, 03:47

The 123 uses 63mA, so will take about a year to drain the battery. Thats ignoring the fact that it turns off after 1 second of no power from the coil.

Just find a positive and hook up to that. Make sure you dont get one that switches off when cranking, as that would make starting pretty entertaining ;)

If your clock doesnt work (like 99% of them out there), then just pretend the 123 is taking the drain over from that.