PDA

View Full Version : 1800: - B20E Auxiliary Air Valve & Seat Belt

DuncanS
Jun 6th, 2009, 17:39
Hi

My MOT is coming up and I am trying to get the last few things sorted.

The car is a 1800ES with D-Jet

It seems the AAV has suddenly stopped working. The engine starts fine but the idle never drops as it warms up unless I put my finger over the AAV intake. Then it idles correctly but a little awkard to drive with my finger in the engine!!

I assume there is some corrosion inside? Is it possible to repair it? I heard somewher that it is possible to fit an electric one from a 240 or something? Can anyone advice how to proceed?

The other issue is the drivers side seat belt. This is an autoretracting type as was standard on this car. It is now stuck and will not extend or retract. I have taken the mechanism off the car to check if the belt had got stuck but that is not the cause. Can anyone recommend a seat belt repair place? Or is it possible to get a replacement?

Thanks
DuncanS

capt jack
Jun 6th, 2009, 19:02
Would it be worth dosing the AAV with WD40 and let it soak overnight?

I do remember reading somewhere on here that someone had devised a manually-operated AAV. My understanding is that AAVs are rarer than hen's teeth.

If you look at the Sales forum there are quite a lot of ES injection and bodywork bits being offered just now by forum member RobinE.

The AAV problem shouldn't affect the MoT. Get the car started and warmed up, blank off the AAV and take the car straight in for testing.

Last two MoT tests I watched on my 1800ES the engine was left running the whole time.

The seat belt is a bigger immediate problem. Was the same belt fitted to other cars of the period? There are always 140s and Amazons breaking on here and on the Bay etc

Good luck

Jack