PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Ignition Barrel Release.Help!

blackrabbit
Jun 8th, 2009, 15:30
Hello
Could anyone tell me as to how you remove the ignition barrel from the dashboard of a Volvo Amazon.
Someone mentioned that there should be a release pin that needs to be pushed down,but I cannot find one.
I would be most grateful for any help.
Thankyou.

agent_strangelove
Jun 8th, 2009, 16:31
Yes, it's there.... It's a real pain to get to. You need to insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the accessory possition (to the left/counter-clockwise), then from the back side of the dash push the button in. If you are looking at the dash frm the drivers seat, the button is at about the 10oclock possition. The button is about 3mm dia and only sits up about 1mm above the sleeve that the cylinder sits in. If the cylinder has been in there for a few years (or many) it's may be a bit stiff. The best tool I have found to get in there to push on that button is a pair of external snap piler I have that have right angle pins on them....

Hope this helps.

Chris

Brinkerz
Jul 2nd, 2009, 15:57
what can you do to remove the ignition barrel if you dont have the key... i am restoring a 65 544 sport for a friend and well he sorta lost the keys.... yay! found a nice set of barrels and keys but well parts of the car remain locked....
please help me out.

Ron Kwas
Jul 2nd, 2009, 23:28
br;

Welcome to the Forum!

Accessory OR IGN ON position both work to allow the release button to be pushed, which will allow withdrawing lock cylinder...a shot of light oil may help convince the mechanism back into an operation it may not have seen in decades! (Do not leave IGN ON for extended time with engine not running!) For location of Release Button, this pic should help...button is visible at 10 O'clock position:
http://sw-em.com/Nieman%20lock%20cylinders.jpg

Bk;

Welcome to you also!

Frankly, as a first time poster, I'm not going to help anyone possibly steal a car...so you have to first convince me/us that you're indeed authorized to be in a position to start the car and drive it away! And if "your friend" just missplaced the keys, then I suggest he should first turn the house upsidedown looking for them!

Cheers from Connecticut!

Brinkerz
Jul 3rd, 2009, 13:48
true true,
well if it is any consolation; and proof, i used to sit in the back of this car when i was 8 yrs old (i am now 32) the friend has all the documents since it was first imported from Sweden in the early 80s. Since he moved since he put the car in storage he lost not only the keys but also the battery (which is easier to replace...). I helped put the car in storage in 2003, and helped take it out two weeks ago.
I have started drilling out the barrel on the gascap and bought a new gascap without a lock... the car will never be used as a daily driver so that chance of gas theft seems small....
How else would i be able to convince you? hahaha
Anyway just got the part book and workshopmanuals so i know how everything is put together... only need to figure out how to do that backward.
Hope you will still be able to help me.
Will post pix soon!

Brinkerz
Jul 16th, 2009, 08:58
well i did it... i drilled out the barrel with my trusty Dremel. And it wasn't that hard either. Installed the new barrel and well she turns over now. for the first time in years.
Which brings me to my next question: convert to disc brakes or stay true to the drums?
cheers,
Rinke

Derek UK
Jul 16th, 2009, 10:25
Well done re the locks.
Nothing wrong with drums when they're in good condition and set up right. Drum brakes need less effort than discs and most PV's still use them. If the drums are in good usable condition, that will keep the costs down. If you have to replace them, they are nearly as expensive as new discs (drums Euro171 and discs Euro191 available exchange from Nordicar for example. includes Euro50 deposit) but you've still got the calipers to find/refurbish plus a bit of engineering.

Brinkerz
Jul 22nd, 2009, 20:01
I will stay true to the drums; found out there's a volvo-breaker just 1 mile *(!!!!!) from my house (Staal Volvo demontage Noordhorn NL). So i am going to pay them a visit straight after they return from vacation.
Should you need anything feel free to let me know and i will look for it.
Also have the B18 Sport rolling again, well with dodgy brakes... but the engine purrs as a kitten. It is a wonderful site.