PDA

View Full Version : Car ownership costs per week / how much it costs you?

Blue 8
Jun 8th, 2009, 17:34
Have you ever worked out just how much it costs you to own your car/cars per week?

I haven`t inc petrol in this as weekly drives can alter.

But this is what we put away each and every week for our car costs.

1/ Cost of car = £0 (brought and paid for)

2/ Road tax = £4.00

3/ Mot = £1.00

4/ Ins = £ 5.00 (fully com for both me and my wife cover inc break down)

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £10.00 ( have now built up good float over the years as repairs have been few, but still add to each week )

Total = £20.00 Per week + fuel

Over to you guys, even if you don`t do this like us , have a go at working it out , you might be surprised at the total ;-)

Paste and copy :

1/ Cost of car = £

2/ Road tax = £

3/ Mot = £

4/ Ins = £

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £

Rossi-fan
Jun 8th, 2009, 17:51
1/ Cost of car = £0

2/ Road tax = £3.65

3/ Mot = £1.00

4/ Ins = £4.30

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £10.00*

Total £18.95 + FUEL

*Got a seperate 'car' account into which goes £10 a week for both the wife's and my car. A service and MOT usually costs me £150, but was £360 once, ouch!!!

V70 2.5 DIESEL

tt82
Jun 8th, 2009, 18:08
I do something similar, I add up my cost of purchase, service cost, consumables, road tax, mot and other (performance uprades, etc) and then i divide it by the amount of months ive owned the car, dont include fuel or insurance though. the idea is that for every month i have the car it cost me less per month. ie, after 3 months its cost me £912 per month, at 12 months £250 and 24 months £150 ( future figures include an estimate of service, road tax and mot cost)

the reason i did it this way is at the time i had a few friends with cars on lease hire, ie jamjar, they had service packs which included services and i wanted to know which would be cheaper to run and by how much?

i started the spread sheet when i bought my first V40 in april 2008, if i combine all the cost for the first car, what i got back from the insurance when it got written off, and then add the second car im currently at £283.46 per month

doing it your way

1/ Cost of car = £0 bought and paid for

2/ Road tax = £4.50

3/ Mot = £1

4/ Ins = £32

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £ 15 (based on average from prev car and inc tyres)

Total = £52.50

T5R+
Jun 8th, 2009, 20:42
This is how I budget weekly for my V70 D5 SE Sport

1 Cost of car = £ 100 (depreciation)
2 Road tax = £3.50
3 Mot = £0
4 Insurance = £ 7
5 Service costs = £7
6 Foreseen upkeep = £15 (tyres/valet/etc)
7 Unforeseen repairs = £10 (car park ding, kerbed alloy, etc, etc)
8 Fuel
9 Breakdown = £0 (covered by dealer/RAC)

This is how I budget weekly for my S60 2.4D SE

11 Cost of car = £ 50 (depreciation)
12 Road tax = £3.50
13 Mot = £0
14 Insurance = £ 7
15 Service costs = £7
16 Foreseen upkeep = £12 (tyres/valet/etc)
17 Unforeseen repairs = £10 (car park ding, kerbed alloy, etc, etc)
18 Fuel
19 Breakdown = £1.50

Do not say it !

Blue 8
Jun 8th, 2009, 20:55
This is how I budget weekly for my V70 D5 SE Sport

1 Cost of car = £ 100 (depreciation)
2 Road tax = £3.50
3 Mot = £0
4 Insurance = £ 7
5 Service costs = £7
6 Foreseen upkeep = £15 (tyres/valet/etc)
7 Unforeseen repairs = £10 (car park ding, kerbed alloy, etc, etc)
8 Fuel
9 Breakdown = £0 (covered by dealer/RAC)

This is how I budget weekly for my S60 2.4D SE

11 Cost of car = £ 50 (depreciation)
12 Road tax = £3.50
13 Mot = £0
14 Insurance = £ 7
15 Service costs = £7
16 Foreseen upkeep = £12 (tyres/valet/etc)
17 Unforeseen repairs = £10 (car park ding, kerbed alloy, etc, etc)
18 Fuel
19 Breakdown = £1.50

Do not say it !

Total £233.50 ouch

Tibbsey23
Jun 8th, 2009, 22:20
Ive stuck on £3 for #5, based on past Volvo experience, where the expenses are consumable fluids and filters. I haven't really taken into account the money I spent on the car when I got it as I would have done that to anything, though arguably the heater core would add an extra £1-1.50 a week if I remember correctly. I write those costs up more as "bring it up to speed costs" rather than "running costs" :)

1/ Cost of car = £0

2/ Road tax = £3.56

3/ Mot = £0.87

4/ Ins = £8.06

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £3

so £12.49 a week definite, and £15.49 with estimated repairs, though realistically as I am doing a fair few miles at the mo, that should probably be upped. I'm spending at least £45 a week on fuel too (coming home once a fortnight and spending about that each time I fill)

Danneh
Jun 8th, 2009, 22:52
I don't want to know.

I spend £60+ on fuel a week atleast.

I have my tax (185/190) at the end of this month.

I have just had my cambelt and water pump done.

Had a nail in my tyre.

had a faulty flasher unit.

I broke my rear taillight (with my fist)

I'm 18, own a 2.0, and I'm paying through the roof.

Do us a favour, don't even add any of it up, or I will kill you ;)

GMcL
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:07
Excluding purchase price, depreciation, fuel and insurance my four-and-a-half year old S60 D5 (which I have owned for the last two-and-a-half years and 30,000 miles) has cost almost 4,400€.
That works out at 33€ per week just in running costs.

jackass
Jun 10th, 2009, 08:12
1/ Cost of car = £0

2/ Road tax = £5

3/ Mot = £0.87

4/ Ins = £ 9

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £ 20 (based on the last year)

£34.87 + fuel

Laney760
Jun 10th, 2009, 12:06
I bought my 760 in Feb and have bought a lot of replacement parts including cambelt, rear light unit, sun roof motor, brake master cyclinder, rear brake pads etc.. and have spent a lot on servicing due to using full synth oils, also my very low insurance with decades of no claims was decimated by the theft of my 740 so my costs are going to be high!

1/ Cost of car = £0

2/ Road tax = £3.75

3/ Mot = £0.87

4/ Ins = £6.86 (includes breakdown cover)

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £35.69 (weekly average so far since Feb)

Total £47.17 per week excluding diesel (scary stuff doing this!)

Edited to say I forgot my radiator, so it's more than this! Also I'll soon be needing tyres and my prop/back axle need looking at! Still a great car though, worth the investment into it

GSMGuy
Jun 10th, 2009, 19:50
1/ Cost of car = £103.61 (not many oayments left ;) )

2/ Road tax = £4.13

3/ Mot = £0.96

4/ Ins = £11.90 (I have a motor trade policy - £619 per year)

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £0

I don't put anything away for repairs/service, just pay as and when...

Best thing about all this is, although I use prob a tankful of fuel per week, my fuel cost is only £0.08 per L So overall running cost is approx £60 per week LESS than figures above...

Mike

PlankWithANailIn
Jun 10th, 2009, 23:23
Lots of people say the cost of the car = £0, just because they do not have finance, however the car will depreciate each and every day you own it. Most new cars lose 50% (if you are lucky) of their value after 3 years that works out for a £20,000 car as £64 per week on its own.

If you think clearly about car ownership the depreciation is the biggest cost after finance (sometimes larger if you buy overspec'd Korean rubbish). All other costs are negligible, including fuel!

GSMGuy
Jun 11th, 2009, 09:27
Lots of people say the cost of the car = £0, just because they do not have finance, however the car will depreciate each and every day you own it. Most new cars lose 50% (if you are lucky) of their value after 3 years that works out for a £20,000 car as £64 per week on its own.

If you think clearly about car ownership the depreciation is the biggest cost after finance (sometimes larger if you buy overspec'd Korean rubbish). All other costs are negligible, including fuel!

You are absolutely correct - Mine has depreciated by approx £12k in 2 years, so thats £115 per week! We bought a 20 month old Citroen C5 1.6 HDi at auction just before Xmas, clean, one owner etc etc (it's gone out as one of my settle cars) When new, it sopld (original invoice cost) for £14,401.. @ 20 months old/31k miles, I paid £3650 all in... £135 per week depreciation, on a family car OUCH!

Also purchased a Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Vector Cabriolet Automatic a few weeks ago - 53 weeks old, 10k miles - Cost £32,404 new with the options, paid £15775 for it... £313 PER WEEK loss in value... Nice bargain though :)

It's swing and roundabouts though - Sold an 06/56 plate Audi A6 Lemans 3.0Tdi Quattro Tiptronic for a neighbour last week, he bought it new in Sept 06, paid £38k for it, and has done 15k miles in it... Best we could get for it was £18k... £151 per week aint too bad for that car...

Mike

nouze
Jun 11th, 2009, 09:57
Don't forget to include a cost of dealing with all the Volvo quality rubbish. I estimate that since I bought my first Volvo 7 mnths ago:
- my life span shortened by one year
- I spent over 200 quid on going back and forth to the garage
- had to waste countless amount of time on proving my point
- the car was sitting at the garage for a total of month, which translates into the cost of renting a courtesy car

Do I like my S60, yes. Will my next car be a Volvo, at the moment NO.

Chris_C
Jun 11th, 2009, 10:34

By that stretch, I get to put a negative figure in for cost of car then, I bought my 300's when they were worth less than they are now ;)

1/ Cost of car = £0

2/ Road tax = £3.55

3/ Mot = £0.96

4/ Ins = £3.84

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £1.98 so far going through the reciepts... about 7hours labour when it was bought though by myself.

Thats not as bad as I expected, it might even negate the amount of fuel it gets through compared to my other ones.

GavinC
Jun 11th, 2009, 11:39
I've just done the figures on a scrappage deal, buying for cash...

Replacing a 12-year old, rusty but trusty, 98,000 miles (non-Volvo) budget motor with another budget motor with What Car projected 3-year residual value of 50%... and CAP projected at 47%. That's a relatively slow depreciation rate by most comparisons.

However the opportunity cost of capital (what I could otherwise earn on the money to buy the car) and the DEPRECIATION... even on a good value, genuine scrappage deal... give me considerable pause for thought. Yes, at £350/year repairs, I'd scrap. All things accounted for I'd still lose financially to do that, but I'd no longer suffer an old, rusting banger. As it is the rusty, trusty banger costs around just £180/year MOT, servicing AND repairs at an indie.

So maybe I'll sit out the scrappage deal and pick up the same model as near-new with manufacturer's warranty at auction in the next year or two. Dunno... shiny new car... now/soon... mmm...

Opportunity cost of capital and depreciation are always the biggies for me. And, unlike fuel and most repairs, they drain the pocket whether the car is used or not.

Bangernomics, eh!

catch22
Jun 11th, 2009, 12:26
1/ Cost of car = £0

2/ Road tax = £2.80

3/ Mot = £0.95

4/ Ins = £4.65 [fully com protected me and wife, including breakdown cover]

5/ Service costs/unforeseen repairs/poss mot costs = £13.50 *

Total: £22

* 4.25 years service costs, gleaned from past leasing companies service log. Since I bought it in January I've replaced dipped headlight bulbs[purely because Volvo's are crap] and a BSR diagnostic tool, total cost £81. But have not included in total service costs. Because both purchases where not technically repairs, oh and £103 spent on installing front and rear parking aids. again not included.

comment: I swapped from a petrol 1.8 Focus [written off] now that was cheap to service/ repair. And I just know the Volvo will cost me more for servicing and replacement costs. But on the up side, I'm saving £344 per annum on fuel and road tax costs. Mind you, a new clutch and a couple of wheel bearings when they nodoubt need replacing whilst I own it, will stack up to a dam sight more than the £400 replacement cost on the Focus.

Mind you, just been down Dorset last week for a holiday, 1000 miles covered. And I must say, better belting down the motorway in a S40 SE than the old Focus.

Blue 8
Jun 11th, 2009, 13:23

Yup i agree

But then i put £0 because we brought a mint 850 for small change and when the time comes to sell her on i`ll sell her for small change = no finance no deprecation just a free motor car :thumbs_up:

Ive been down the road where we brought new or relatively new cars when we were on a high in life , but never again.

We hit a low point where we went from having money to where money was tight, so the the new cars stopped and the nice affordable ones started, but even now we are slowly getting back on our feet i would never buy a car from new, lose all that money in interest whist on finance only to lose all over again through deprecation just to say i have a new motor , nah been there done that my £700 850 does every thing that our 17k car could do, ok its not new so what? i would also never buy a motor again that i could not afford to buy cash either, what i cant afford to buy cash nowadays i don't have, you can stick your credit , 9 time`s out of 10 given enough time it will only serve to bring you to your knees in one way or another.

Rossi-fan
Jun 11th, 2009, 15:53

Would never buy a new car [even if i could afford one], my idea is to let someone else bare the brunt of the depreciation. There's nowt wrong in buying a 3-4-5-6-7 year old volvo. If i bought a 5 year old V70 for, lets say, £7,000,- to me, its still feels like i'm getting a £25,000 car.