PDA

View Full Version : Private Number Plates.

740 In France
Jun 8th, 2009, 21:13
My sister lives in the UK and has bought a saab with a private plate and she would like to sell the number plate. It is OIL ---- WITH 4 numbers after and I had a look on the internet sites and they were asking anything from 400.00 to 5,000pounds for a very similar one.

How do I find out its true realistic value?
Where is a good place to advertise it?

I read that it costs 80.00 to transfer it to another car. I hope this is OK to ask being a volvo forum. Many thanks James:thumbs_up:.

pdr944
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:50
advertise it on ebay but remember to take into account the £80 transfer fee if you put a reserve on the plate..this is to put the registration onto a retention certificate so you can sell it but it also covers the transfer to another vehicle so whoever buys it can put it on there car for nothing.i.e. it pays for both takeing the reg off one car and putting it on another so you want to try to recoupe this cost.

regards peter.

Bopo
Jun 9th, 2009, 15:35
There's a decent amount of website's that will advertise and hopefully sell your number plate for a commission fee of course, do a bit of Googling and I'm sure you'll find them.

740 In France
Jun 12th, 2009, 21:22
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. My sister still hasn't said what She wants to do with the plate regarding selling the plate or whether to sell it with the car. She now wants to sell the car as its rather thirsty.
Ebay looks a good bet for selling and I think my sister would of liked 300 pounds for the plate.
The plate is currently on the car. Would it be a problem to sell the plate although still fitted/registered to the car or would it have to be put on retention and then the plate sold? She may go to the expense of taking it off the car and then not being able to sell the plate.
Many thanks James.:thumbs_up:

radiodanno
Jun 12th, 2009, 22:01
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. My sister still hasn't said what She wants to do with the plate regarding selling the plate or whether to sell it with the car. She now wants to sell the car as its rather thirsty.
Ebay looks a good bet for selling and I think my sister would of liked 300 pounds for the plate.
The plate is currently on the car. Would it be a problem to sell the plate although still fitted/registered to the car or would it have to be put on retention and then the plate sold? She may go to the expense of taking it off the car and then not being able to sell the plate.
Many thanks James.:thumbs_up:

You'd need to get it on retention really. You can only transfer the plate from a car with an MOT as well so that might be something to consider.

To be honest, those OIL, KHZ, GIG etc plates are really worth about £150 nowadays as you can pick up NI plates for little more than the £80 DVLA fee now.

If I were here, I'd either sell it with the car and buy a new one or just take what you can get for it.