PDA

View Full Version : The RAC now carry a universal fit spare wheel

Laney760
Jun 13th, 2009, 22:46
Since the trial started in January RAC reakon this device has saved it's members 10,000 hours, enabling people to drive to a tyre fitters/garage instead of having to be taken on a flatbed and lessening time at the roadside hence improving roadside safety

Some astounding figures from this article -

A quarter of motorists said they hadn't had their spare replaced or repaired since their last flat

Only one if five members said they checked their spare for roadworthiness

One in three women said they wouldn't know where to start if they had to change a wheel and had no intention of learning

Only 57% of women and 74% of men knew where their locking wheel nut key was

More than a third of motorists hadn't organised a spare after buying a vehicle without one

26% of over 50s have never changed a wheel and never plan to learn

18% carried a puncture repair kit or sealant and presumed that would be enough

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/safety/5486003/Reinventing-the-wheel.html

Rossi-fan
Jun 13th, 2009, 23:33
Since the trial started in January RAC reakon this device has saved it's members 10,000 hours, enabling people to drive to a tyre fitters/garage instead of having to be taken on a flatbed and lessening time at the roadside hence improving roadside safety

Some astounding figures from this article -

A quarter of motorists said they hadn't had their spare replaced or repaired since their last flat

Only one if five members said they checked their spare for roadworthiness

One in three women said they wouldn't know where to start if they had to change a wheel and had no intention of learning

Only 57% of women and 74% of men knew where their locking wheel nut key was

More than a third of motorists hadn't organised a spare after buying a vehicle without one

26% of over 50s have never changed a wheel and never plan to learn

18% carried a puncture repair kit or sealant and presumed that would be enough

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/safety/5486003/Reinventing-the-wheel.html

All of the above should be left at the road side.

cam
Jun 14th, 2009, 05:21
yes i think changing a spare wheel should be part of the driving test

Steve and his 244
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:25
How thick do you have to be to not know how to wind a handle till a wheel comes off the ground, undo 4 or 5 nuts, pull off the wheel and replace it with the spare?!!

Its almost easier than changing the batteries in your TV remote!

and to check your spare all you need it a tyre pressure guage/foot pump, and a bit of careful judgement to know the tyre is OK!

Steve

Rossi-fan
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:32
If the 'AA' - 'RAC' etc, etc started charging £100 for changing a wheel for a "STRANDED" motorist, think they would sharp learn to do it themselves.

T5R+
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:46
Reminds of a story - breakdown chap called out to a "flash new Jag" in the pouring rain that had sustained a puncture. Finds three "fat cats" sat in car smoking their cigars and condescending attitude........"sorry guys, you will have to get out of the car, H&S rules".

His attitude was, if they are too lazy to do it and avoid getting wet in the rain, well they can at least get a soaking.

Alec Dawe
Jun 14th, 2009, 09:11
Big problem now is that an awful lot of NEW cars come without a spare at all!
It 'increases' the available boot capacity for the brochures, and reduces the car's all up weight, for the fuel consumption figures.
Volvo C70 (new) Focus CC, Volkswagen Eos, New model Mazda MX 5, and you will find lots and lots more.

The so called 'get you home' aerosol/comprssor and sealant might work, but not fo anything big, now sidewall damage etc, so these motorists will be reduced to calling out AA/RAC/Garage to fix.

If you use the sealant, then its an odds on chance the tyre fitters will refuse to repair, and you end up with having a new tyre for a simple, small puncture (Tyre places hate the sealant, and say its almost impossible to get a reliable wheel balance on a tyre where it has been used.

My wife's Focus CC has no spare, or jack! I am looking for a S/H Focus space saver, to fit the wheel well that IS there!! The jack is no problem, I'll find a Focus one somewhere

migrator
Jun 14th, 2009, 09:29
How thick do you have to be to not know how to wind a handle till a wheel comes off the ground, undo 4 or 5 nuts, pull off the wheel and replace it with the spare?!!

Its almost easier than changing the batteries in your TV remote!

and to check your spare all you need it a tyre pressure guage/foot pump, and a bit of careful judgement to know the tyre is OK!

Steve

Do you know how much damage this sort of activity can do to your manicure? :) :)

On a more serious note, the RAC currently apply a 'call out' charge payable in advance if they are called out to a second incident where the battery is involved (having been declared dead by them on the first call out. A few judicious questions about the presence of a useable spare could result in the same action from them.

Rossi-fan
Jun 14th, 2009, 12:52
My Missus' would much rather chew on and change a tyre herself, than endure the embarrasment of a bloke do it for her. [change the tyre that is]

the alarming man
Jun 14th, 2009, 13:39
yes i think changing a spare wheel should be part of the driving test

it really does astound me how the hell can anyone take to the road without knowing how to change a wheel...cam your right then again its all in the owners manual...i take it these wallys can err read??:hidesbehindsofa::thumbs_up:

JackRussel
Jun 14th, 2009, 13:56
If the 'AA' - 'RAC' etc, etc started charging £100 for changing a wheel for a "STRANDED" motorist, think they would sharp learn to do it themselves.

They do. It's called a membership fee !

cootuk
Jun 14th, 2009, 19:29
Can you imagine learner drivers being told to get a piece of scaffold bar on their wheel brace, or the tip of their boots and stand on it, cos the bolts have been put on too tight?

keithyboy
Jun 15th, 2009, 08:39
A friend of mine bought a nearly new Honda Civic recently and showed me the highly impressive amount of boot space. This is achieved by not having a spare wheel, just a can of gloop.

How much use that will be if it lets go on the motorway at 70 I'm not sure.

GMcL
Jun 15th, 2009, 14:02
How does this Universal spare work on a 4x4?
I wonder if they will pay for transmission wind up if they make a mistake?

I wouldn't like to have to change the wheel on the C4 we have. Spare in a cradle under the middle of the car (not like the old system where it was a the back of the car) you would be covered in allsorts (not liquorice ones) just getting the thing out. That and the fact you have to go digging in amongst the third row of seats in the floor somewhere for the winding bolt to release the spare.

You can only imagine what state it'll be in after a couple of winters under there.

Laney760
Jun 15th, 2009, 14:13
I've had to remove the mounting for and the spare mounted on the back door of my Merc camper as it was one of the many things that local villagers and the Parish council didn't like about my vehicle, saying that it 'detracted from the ambience of the village'! Should I ever be able to afford to repair and run her, I don't fancy remounting the mounter and the spare every time I go out and there is absolutely no room inside the van for the spare and nor would I use the vehicle without one! Village life!

tt82
Jun 15th, 2009, 20:58
To be fair, any of those mentioned in the list, id rather they call the RAC/AA out to do their wheel change, can you just imagine if they tried doing it themselves.

how many would actually know to loosen the wheel nuts before lifting the wheel off the ground, and how many would only tighten them till the wheel spun while up in the air and then drive off. the motorway would be full of cars in ditches and spare wheels rolling along the carrigeway.

Chesh740R
Jun 16th, 2009, 01:06
No doubt quite a few calls to change spare wheels are due to the increased numbers of vehicles with alloy wheels fitted which then corrode to the hub.

My fathers S80 was a prime example of this, got a puncture working away from home, he set about changing the wheel but could not free the wheel from the hub and had to call the RAC out.
When i first took other wheels of this car I had to use a lump hammer and a block of wood hit the rim on the inside edge quite forcibly to unstuck the rim. Copper grease on the mating surfaces has solved the problem in the future from now on.