PDA

View Full Version : 440 immobiliser immobilzer What and Why

wal-tech
Jun 24th, 2009, 00:39
Hi everybody
I have been reading this site since jan 09 when i bought my 440 1.6si and have found ,many nuggets of help from you all.
Unfortunately, i have not actually found a solution to my most recent problem, the immobiliser. as with all the other threads it all started with a flat battery a few months ago and the dash LED began flashing rapidly even after the engine was running. any way, Took it for the dreaded MOT last week and when i picked it up the Guy in the garage said he couldn't start it, no turning just lights etc...so we looked and we prodded and we wiggled and scratched our heads and then as if by magic it came to life.... no idea what we/he did, but then all was fine until 2 days later..... it happened again, just picked the kids up from school so me and the missus and the kids were sat in the car outside school for over anhour as i wiggled this wire cos we wiggled it the other day and tapped that bit cos we tapped that too the other day, then i thought i'd try it my way, i pulled all these plugs off the main POS on the battery cable... replacing one by one until.... YAY it turned over ... but didn't start, so one plug on and yay GRRR!!!!!! it grunted back at me.... so i drove it home and parked up. to the next day now, came out to the car in the morning and ..... FLIP! dead BLOODY battery! Got the booster out the shed, wise purchase i may add! and attatched it .... GRRR it grunted back at me again, OK Love we can go out now, best keep the booster in boot , ya know, just incase. but oh yeah , i put the last remaining plug back on the POS on the battery, cos with the flat battery and that, i looked and saw it went to the alternator. so off we went... that evening, a friday, being the 19th of june and the MOT expired, i parked it up at home ready for wednesday 24th for the work to be done and retested. but blow me its the day before and bloody thing thing wont turn over again !!!!!

Right this is where i get really peeved !!

I HAVE BEEN OUT THERE WITH THAT DAMNED CAR SINCE 10am AND FINALLY GAVE UP AT 11:30pm

IT WONT START

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL P

PRETTY PLEASE xx

I've cancelled the retest until i can get it started so any help - quick would be FAB!

ahal
Jun 28th, 2009, 06:51
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this properly, but I had similar-ish problems with my 480s, fitted with a Meta alarm. It even got to the point of calling a tow truck - I couldn't get off the drive!

I found that reconnecting the battery armed the whole thing straight away. It's then necessary to ( I think ) arm it with the remote, and then disarm it. Perhaps yours has a delay of some sort where it's giving you the first start, but now allowing you to restart it? I'm fairly sure what you're describing has to do with a sequence.

Best of luck,

Tony

bwbentham
Jun 30th, 2009, 17:29
Hi

Have owned several 440/460 cars in the past & most M reg onwards ones (i.e. those with the black 2-button remote) have shown similar symptoms at some stage. Known problems are the siren (disconnect it!!) and strangely, the headlight wiper motors!!! Disconnect them & see if it starts?

Cheers

wal-tech
Sep 13th, 2009, 01:08
Hi

Have owned several 440/460 cars in the past & most M reg onwards ones (i.e. those with the black 2-button remote) have shown similar symptoms at some stage. Known problems are the siren (disconnect it!!) and strangely, the headlight wiper motors!!! Disconnect them & see if it starts?

Cheers

thanks for the help everyone. i have found that if you leave it locked for a few hours, pretty much until the battery drains flat. like overnight, then when you try start it in the morning, it hardly has the strength to turn but at least this is better complete nothingness!
slippy hook up to the boost starter and away you go. its on charge in the shed so its its always there for me first thing if i need it now.

Steve940estate
Sep 13th, 2009, 01:54
I pulled the alarm out of my 940 when it started being a pain. The immobiliser is just 1 wire that is switched by the alarm. All you need to do is re-connect it.
I expect that the newer cars have built in alarms, good for stopping thieves, not so good if you can't start the car yourself.

Clan
Sep 13th, 2009, 08:41
thanks for the help everyone. i have found that if you leave it locked for a few hours, pretty much until the battery drains flat. like overnight, then when you try start it in the morning, it hardly has the strength to turn but at least this is better complete nothingness!
slippy hook up to the boost starter and away you go. its on charge in the shed so its its always there for me first thing if i need it now.

It sounds as if you just need a new battery to me ! or you have an alternator problem not charging your bateery ..

RobT_75
Nov 11th, 2009, 21:07
Hi

Cheers

Hello all

I've only had my 460 a few days and I'm having the same problems as the chap in this thread - immobiliser light constantly flashing even whilst car is running, doesn't fire up very strongly (might be alternator that bit) and went out to find dead battery this evening.

How do you disconnect the siren and wiper motors as mentioned above. I've bought a Haynes manual off ebay today but didn't think I'd need it this quick!

Cheers
Rob

srtames
Nov 13th, 2009, 16:01
I believe you can get an immobiliser bypass module for older renaults so probably one for 440,s as they are renault electrics. Devonkeyexpress mobile key man on Google may help you out. Its a right nuisance all this stuff they put on cars that cant be fixed easily. talk about planned obsolence! Is it the eu parliament making it compulsory to fit immobilsers?

regards, Steve

RobT_75
Nov 15th, 2009, 17:46
Thanks for the info Steve. I've found the fault it wasn't the immobiliser playing silly b=ggers after all it's the charging system. I tightened the belt as it was slipping a bit but still the voltmeter reads 12-12.5 when under load so I'm hoping replacing the alternator should sort this, although the one fitted doesn't look that old.

Edit: I've just noticed another thread on replacing alternator brushes and checking the wires/leads so will go through those before the expensive route of buying a new alternator!