PDA

View Full Version : V40 rear brake retracter tool

fingerdancer
Jun 28th, 2009, 11:08
Hi all,does anybody know where I can get a tool to wind the rear brake pistons?, I need to fit new pads. Thanks

csd_19
Jun 28th, 2009, 18:36
Halfords sell a wind-back tool for brake calipers ;)

p1-gaz
Jul 1st, 2009, 22:44
I did mine last week. To save buuying a tool, my mechanic neighbour told me to use a pair of open pliers. Open them up, put the ends into the grooves, push in and turn clockwise. Takes a while and hurts like hell but saved me some dough and worked a treat.

I have a 2001 v40 estate.

bertuk
Jul 28th, 2009, 00:19
ebay around £7 for a draper one seen a few :thumbs_up:on there

stevo48
Jul 28th, 2009, 00:28
G-clamp works a treat

VolvoFan
Jul 28th, 2009, 20:52
If the pistons should be wound back, i.e. turned, wouldn't the g-clamp destroy the thread when the pistons are just pushed straight in?

stevo48
Jul 28th, 2009, 21:50
You weld the pivot plate of the G-clamp to the thread so it rotates as you wind the clamp in which in turn winds in the caliper piston, you could modify the G-clamp to fit the caliper as desired.

lefty
Jul 28th, 2009, 22:44
I used a combination of a g clamp and mole grips.

Apply a little pressure with the g clamp then very carefully grip the outer edge of the piston with the mole grips and rotate clockwise for half a turn then repeat the process until fully wound in. (g clamp, mole grips, g clamp, mole grips etc...)

Make sure you are extremely careful to use just enough grip to turn the piston without marking it and always make sure you don't grip the seal as you will ruin it.