PDA

View Full Version : Speedo face peeling

ericpode
Jul 3rd, 2009, 15:36
I have a 460 CD, and the speedo has started to "peel".

It looks like the speedo markings and numerics are printed on a black film that is just stuck over the circuit board. The film seems to have spit at the corners of the cutouts where the total miles and tripometer counters are located. The film has then started to curl back from these cutouts and in places has started to obstruct the speedo needle.

What's the best solution for this? Would an attempt to super-glue the "curls" back down be a good long term solution?

Would it need the whole dashboard assembly to be removed to get at the front of the speedo?

B20F
Jul 4th, 2009, 09:03
Glueing won't do the job. The paint curls will break when attempting to curl them back in place. Of course you can give it a try. The best solution is replacing the speedo with a non peeling one from the scrappy. You can remove the dash cluster and replace the speedo or replace the complete cluster. If you're steering wheel is adjustable you can remove the cluster while putting the steering wheel at it's lowest setting, if not you have to remove the steering wheel.

Clan
Jul 4th, 2009, 09:35
what i have done several times in the past is remove the speedo and carefully break away the peeling parts and use a new permanant black marker pen to colour in the bare exposed backing , its hardly noticable then ..

pete-d
Jul 4th, 2009, 10:45
My 460 had this problem before I bought it.

The Volvo independent who was servicing it just put a new speedo in.

Pete

ericpode
Jul 4th, 2009, 14:08
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I didn't realise it was paint - it looked like a sticky-backed plastic film.

Also I assumed that any sort of replacement would require the whole dashboard display to be replaced - I thought it was one long cct board.

I'll have to get it sorted one way or another as I assume it will fail an MOT if the speedo needle is obstructed.

I've seen a couple of 460's where some of the "computer" display settings have stopped working. Fortunately mine works fine, but due to the car's age I'm worried about disturbing the dashboard display too much in case the computer display partly stops working.

Is there any way to get access to the front of the speedo without actually removing it - it's so tantalisingly close behind that clear plastic cover!