PDA

View Full Version : weber or solex

bohemia
Jul 6th, 2009, 07:13
My friend who has owned 122s tells me that I should nix the solex duals and replace with webers.

What say you guys? Pros and cons?

asneddon
Jul 6th, 2009, 08:39
Well, first you dont have Solexs, you have SUs (probably, possibly Strombergs, but not if you have twin carbs).

Webers will produce more top end HP, but you will loose a bit of the lowend and midrange. You will also use more fuel, and have a harder time getting them in tune.

If you are racing, or are very comfortable with working on the engine, then you may as well have a play. If you want the car for daily road use then I would stay away from the Webers.

The SUs are a very good carb, and are way more forgiving of being out of tune than any other type of carb I have ever worked on.

Alf ista
Jul 6th, 2009, 08:40
Weber is just a better carb than a Solex. The same way in CD type carbs an SU is better than a Stromberg. Now thats just what I hear. I am sure the more knowledgable can explain why that is.

asneddon
Jul 6th, 2009, 08:46
Actually, if you do have Solexs, then yes, replace with something else. Webers are very well made. If you do have SUs, then its a harder choice, and depends on what you want to do.

My only experience with Solexs are on old Landrovers. I replaced with a weber and it made a noticable, but not huge, difference. Then again, its not as if Landrovers are built for performance!

222s
Jul 6th, 2009, 09:57
Well, first you dont have Solexs, you have SUs (probably, possibly Strombergs, but not if you have twin carbs).

Twin Strombergs were used on 140s, so might have a set from that source. If however it is indeed Solexes, they would be aftermarket fitment.

The SUs are a very good carb, and are way more forgiving of being out of tune than any other type of carb I have ever worked on.
SUs seem to have a bad reputation in the States, but when in good condition, they are great and as said above, very tolerant. Knackered ones can be a pain though.

TomTom
Jul 6th, 2009, 11:17
Could I put my two shillings in for the single-carb set-up, although I know this is extra work if you've got a dual set-up. Since I changed to a single Stromberg from a pair of old SUs I haven't looked back. No more vacuum leaks leading to a bizarre idle that I could never keep smooth, and no more time wasted on regular tuning and balancing.

I know that these SUs needed replacing and that good ones don't give this much trouble, but I still feel that a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and I can live without the extra grunt at the top end.

Tom

Derek UK
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:53
If you re read the OP you'll see that Bohemia says "Solex duals" so talk of SU's may not be relevant. If this engine does have have Weber type dual choke Solex it may be that the engine has been upgraded with a Volvo R-Sport kit which used these. About 160bhp with the full kit on a B20. Volvo didn't use Webers for this stage of tuning.
If the Solex are good fine use them. Parts, jets may not be too easy to find but the cost of replacing them with Webers will tax the wallet a bit.

Pictures please!

asneddon
Jul 6th, 2009, 13:18
Didn't know about the R-sport kit with Solexs. All different story then. Are they the same mountings as Dellortos and Webers? If so, and the solexs are stuffed, then Webers could be a good solution.

From years ago when I had a bit of a play with both Dellortos and Webers I liked the mid range of the Dellortos more, but the webers were better for top end. As I was building a hill climber I opted for the Webers. Never even seen a side draft Solex.

agent_strangelove
Jul 6th, 2009, 17:00
Bohemia et al.-

As Derek pointed out, Volvo did sell some racing set ups for the b20 engine that did have Solex DDH carbs on them. It's doubtfull you have a set and more likely you have a set of SU's. But I have found stranger things on cars... If you have a set of the Solex DDH's I would be interested in buying them.

Which Portland are you in? I'm just outside of Portland Oregon and would be willing to swing by and look at your car. As IPD is here in town, there are odd cars that come out of the wood everyonce in awhile and you may have found one.

Thanks
Chris

Dylan144GT
Jul 6th, 2009, 18:57
Hi All

An example of the Solex twin side drafts in question, see attachments! :) According to the R-Sport catalogue one can interchange these with Webers of the equivalent size and I'm guessing Dollorto's because Webers and Dollorto's are interchangable.

Dylan

classicswede
Jul 6th, 2009, 19:13
If you have the solex carbs I can see no reason to change them unless you have problems. If you are having problems with the carbs then chances are they can be fixed.

jakobandhismakarov
Jul 9th, 2009, 15:10
If you re read the OP you'll see that Bohemia says "Solex duals" so talk of SU's may not be relevant. If this engine does have have Weber type dual choke Solex it may be that the engine has been upgraded with a Volvo R-Sport kit which used these. About 160bhp with the full kit on a B20. Volvo didn't use Webers for this stage of tuning.
If the Solex are good fine use them. Parts, jets may not be too easy to find but the cost of replacing them with Webers will tax the wallet a bit.

Pictures please!

Ellemann Jakobsen also used a pair of twin Solex PHHs in their tuning kit. Chances are you've either got an R Sport kit or an EJ.

TomG
Jul 11th, 2009, 19:08
i've just found a Solex carb at the back of my garage with a volvo filter on the top, but i can't seem to find what sort it is, any ideas where i should be lookin?

classicswede
Jul 11th, 2009, 23:44
My guess is it will be either a 340 carb or a 240/740 carb. That is assuming it is a progressive twin choke.