PDA

View Full Version : General: - Clutch pilot bearing

agent_strangelove
Jul 7th, 2009, 17:41
So I was in process of trading engines in my 1800 last night. I went to put in the new one and realized that there is not a pliot bearing in that one but rather a bushing.... But it's odd in that the bushing has a .75" ID where the standard bearing has a .59" ID (about size on fit on the trany input shaft). The crank looks unaltered and has the same size hole in it.

Should I just yard out the bushing and not worry about it?

Thanks
Chris

ClassicVolvoShop
Jul 7th, 2009, 18:05
Looks odd... The bolts too.. somewhere down memory lane it must have been altered - I would change things/inspect.

The flywheel looks rusty! - why not use your old one? (if in better shape)..

Tony Barrett
Jul 8th, 2009, 09:46
Take the bush out, it is the locator for the 'nose' of a torque converter.
Fit spigot bearing, don't forget the circlip.
Tony Barrett
The Old Volvo Man
0208 525 7283

agent_strangelove
Jul 8th, 2009, 17:16
I don't know why there would have been anything to do with a automatic on this engine but I yarded it out last night. It was a heck of a battle with a big slide hammer and about 100 blows but it came out. I cleaned out the hole and tapped in the proper bearing with a wooden rod, installed the washer and circ clip. The engine dropped in and mated up to the M41 fairly easily. I hope to finish up hooking it all up tonight and fire it up... It will be nice to see how much **** and vinegar a B20 bored to 92mm with a hot cam will do...

Chris