PDA

View Full Version : problem getting into fourth gear

hobbes
Jul 11th, 2009, 16:36
Hi everybody,
A question for the all knowing and all seeing forum, please be gentle with me,
I have a '66 1800S which I 'am currently trying to restore and I 'am having trouble getting the car into 4th gear it goes into 1st, 2nd,3rd and reverse without any issues but refuses to go into 4th.

Any thoughts or tips? Please help as my wife is certain that I have bought a money pit which is more trouble than its worth and I shouldn't have sold the MGB.

TomG
Jul 11th, 2009, 19:04
I know this may sound silly, but how's ya cluch fluid level? Not long after i got mine i lost one gear, but it was goin into the others fine, checked the reservoir and it was empty, topped it up, problem solved.

I know it'll probably be summit more technical, but hey, some times you can't see the forest for the trees.

;)

hobbes
Jul 11th, 2009, 19:12
Thanks for that:thumbs_up:, I will go and check again I thought that it was okay as I have just replaced the master and slave cylinder because I couldn't get it into 3rd or 4th so I guess the level could have settled.
As you say the trees, the trees why is it always the trees

loon
Jul 11th, 2009, 23:49
I have just replaced the master and slave cylinder because I couldn't get it into 3rd or 4th

have you adjusted the push rod from the slave to the arm
the rod needs to be all the way in and the arm nearly all the way back without any preasure if that makes any sense

Derek UK
Jul 12th, 2009, 11:52
Does it crunch/grate when trying to get it into 4th? Clutch isn't clearing sufficiently. It probably goes into 4th OK with the engine off.
Free play at pushrod to arm should be 3-4mm. Release return spring while checking. Be fussy when adjusting. Rebleed system and check pushrod movement while someone else pushes the pedal down.
Remove the gear lever gaitor and check that the 4 screws holding the top plate are tight.

Any better after doing those?

hobbes
Jul 13th, 2009, 10:45
That does sound more like it as I can get it into gear when the engine is not running, will try again.
Many thanks to all, for this sound advice from everyone.
Will let you know the outcome.