PDA

View Full Version : P1800 - Steel Timing Gear

skysurfer
Jul 15th, 2009, 00:10
Just replaced the camshaft and timing gear on my P1800S but it doesn't half seem to wail at low speeds !. I'm aware that the steel gears are generally noiser than the fibre gears, but will this die down in time when the gears bed in ?. And what kind of mileage will I need to do before this happens ?
Cheers. PJ

tdz840
Jul 15th, 2009, 06:04
Just replaced the camshaft and timing gear on my P1800S but it doesn't half seem to wail at low speeds !. I'm aware that the steel gears are generally noiser than the fibre gears, but will this die down in time when the gears bed in ?. And what kind of mileage will I need to do before this happens ?
Cheers. PJ

Hi
I have the steel/alloy timing gears and its not particulary loud - now. However there was a bad batch out there and when I rebuilt the engine I fitted a set of these. This was the end result. They made a helluva noise and was very distinct. I shut it down in time but still debris wrecked the pump and bearings. I have all the data if you need.
Im in Fareham if you want to compare the noise to my car and allow me to make a judgement?
HTH
Russ
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/chippy59/?action=view&current=camgear2.jpg
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/chippy59/?action=view&current=crankcamgear1.jpg
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/chippy59/?action=view&current=camgear1.jpg

Quarterless
Jul 15th, 2009, 09:50
Where did you get the broken set of gears from? Was the large gear alloy? What were you doing to shear the teeth off?
Regards
J.

Derek UK
Jul 15th, 2009, 11:15
I assume you changed the crankshaft gear at the same time? As far as I know all of the metal gears use a matching crank gear that's different to the one for the fibre gears. If your taking the timing cover off again, and it sounds as if you might, check that the oiler nozzle is clear and correctly positioned. It should squirt at where the 2 gears mesh. The oil makes a bit of a cushion which helps to reduce the noise.
I think a poll might show that some run in and get quieter and some don't. Lots of variables.

agent_strangelove
Jul 15th, 2009, 17:37
I have steel timing gear in both of the cars I use on a regular basis ('65 122 stock, '64 1800s). I will no longer use fiber gears in any car as it's not worth my time and effort to put them in and then have it be a gamble as to how long they will last. I have had fiber gears blow up on start up of a new engine and I have had them last 60,000 miles.

I would say the first 500 or so miles there is more of a tinny or wizzing noise to the steel gears but thing very harsh. After that they quite down and now (40,000 miles later on my 122) I can't tell the difference from a car with a fiber gear in there. As others have pointed out, always change them as a set.

Chris

tdz840
Jul 15th, 2009, 19:57
The problems you see in the pics are historical. I bought the gears from Rock Auto in the States on a recomendation and they are the same gears used by John Parker (V Performance). The gears are made by Cloyes so well respected manufacturer.
This is what happened:
1. Recomendation to use these gears by well respected Volvo engine builder
2. Ordered from Rock Auto at $125 incl postage, fitted them on a rebuilt bottom end. Prior to fitting, crank turninig over sweetly with no tight spots. Fitted gears and slight sticking which I put down to gears meshing.
3. Assembeld engine and started it. High noise. Went to the person who recommended who agreed they were noiser but without anything to corroborate against it was difficult to ascertain.
4. Ran car for approx 100 miles and then oil change and head torque. Nothing picked up
5. After approx 200 miles noticed oil pressure dropping off (everything had been renewed so I suspected the oil pump delivery seals).
6. To do this properley I knew the engine had to come out or drop the subframe. I chose the former so I could work on the engine stand
7. Engine out removed the timing cover this was the result.
8. Started ringing around and it appears that a bad batch had been reported two years before to Cloyes and again about 6 months prior to my issues. However they didnt pull the suspected gears or inform the suppliers
9. Rock Auto were brilliant, took the bull by the horns and secured all the components I needed to rebuild the engine a second time. Basically new seals/gaskets, bearings, oil pp, followers, gears etc. Crank and bores were all unaffected. I stripped the engine completely and put it through the chemical wash at work with all oil ways checked clear.
10. Car now running very well, in fact very very well!
Russ

tdz840
Jul 15th, 2009, 19:57
The Cloyes gears are a matched set

skysurfer
Jul 16th, 2009, 17:02
Thanks to everyone. After a few days motoring, I've noticed that the gears are gradually beginning to quieten down. It's also good to hear that others have experienced the same noise but that things seem to eventually get quieter. Both crankshaft and camshaft gears were changed to steel as I'm aware that fibre and steel gears are not compatible. Cheers. PJ