PDA

View Full Version : 1800: - My gauges dont read right!!!

bdthompson
Jul 31st, 2009, 15:43
Help, self confessed non mechanically minded person requiring help!!!

My gauges dont read quite right!

I had an EFi B20 engine in my 1972 ES, I heard about a few problems with the EFi unit and wanted and still do want to learn how to tinker myself, hence I had it changed to the carb system instead.... mmmm

I have a little issue that seems to be occuring now that did not before, the water temp, oil temp and fuel gauge now seem to be telling me that the reading are higher than they should..... eg water goes to boiling within a mile of starter and running her, but she has been temp gunned and it seems to be normal....... eg oil, so I hear, should very rearly move on shorter journies yet within 15 miles she is up to av temp....i believe this is not normal......... eg fuel gauge, when she is filled up she will remain at full for 70 miles and then will be dry in the next 60.. I am aware this should be better and I do have her booked in for a full tune etc next week.

Voltage regulator.....i believe not as the needles remain steady, sender units have been changed.....i believe for the correct senders via Brookhouse and he is sensible so there.............

I know that most of you are more intelligent than me in these matters but does anyone know of this issue? Can anyone help with the diagnosis?

capt jack
Aug 1st, 2009, 10:47
Dear Reader

What Ben doesn't mention is that his ES is just about the most amazing re-incarnation of the model you're ever likely to see....!

Chief suspect would have to be the voltage stabiliser which sits just above the oil temp gauge behind the dash.

There was a post on here a few weeks ago about a cheap fix using a stock stabiliser from Maplins, but that was on a 144 with the horizontal speedo dash - not sure how easy it would be to carry out the same mod on an ES without substantially stripping the dash.

I guess the other thing to check would be all the various earths on the back of each gauge.

Cheers

Jack

Ron Kwas
Aug 1st, 2009, 14:11
BD;

I would have to agree with Jack...the first thing you need to check is the output of the VS...is it cycling, or stuck ON? See: http://www.sw-em.com/voltage_stabilizer.htm

Good Hunting!