PDA

View Full Version : Back pressure?

AidanC
Aug 2nd, 2009, 16:37
Hi,

I have a '67 B18 which has a B18B head, twin carbs, D cam and 4 branch manifold to a Simons exhaust. It has the old style breather that exits to the ground and a mesh in the oil filler cap, which again, exits to the engine bay. The engine has covered at least 140,000 miles with no history of a rebuild. The mesh in the oil filler cap doesn't have any oil in it, so I assume that its not being forced up that far.

Problem is that fumes are getting into the cabin - having had a good look around today, I noticed that fumes are exiting in a fairly brisk way from the breather. The engine is running well, not using much oil etc.

When I fitted the new head I noticed that the bores were very smooth (and probably should have been honed, but I was rushing the work) but there was no discernable wear lip at the top of each cylinder.

I compression tested it today and got the following readings with a hot engine:

#1 158 psi
#2 160 psi
#3 160 psi
#4 162 psi

If the head is B18B spec as its supposed to be, this is outside the lower range for the B18B engine. I don't have the kit for a leak down test which I know would give much more insight but at a quick glance does this look like I'll need to strip the engine or is there something else that I should check first?

Thanks in advance,

Aidan