PDA

View Full Version : Electrics: - Geeting radio out/ Is it worth doing ?

1966 122s
Aug 3rd, 2009, 16:15
I am about to set to work on the period Motorola radio in my 122s.

Radio works fine as long as there is no vibration, but start the car up and you are listening to loud crackles plus a bit of intermittent radio. Problem is acurately reproduced by tugging on the trio of wires (power in and speaker out (+ and -)) wires immediately as then enter the radio. Not sure which of the three wires is the issue but I suspect power by nature of loud crackling rather than silence)

So, I'm thinking... Probably a bad solder joint. Probably just inside casing. Get the radio out , open the case, solder the joint and get radio back in.

So here are the questions:
1. Am I on target with my guess at the source of the problem ?
2. Is it likely that I can open the case and solder ?
3. Is it worth the trouble (versus modern stereo droped onto tray below or second hand period radio).

If answer to 1 to 3 is yes then how do I get the radio out (as hanging upside down under the dashboard has left me non the wiser) ??

Derek UK
Aug 3rd, 2009, 16:30
Just about yes 1 -3. Worth a go and that'll cost you nothing. Pull the knobs off and you should see a large thin nut on each spindle. this both holds the radio to the dash and keeps the facia plate on. If it is dodgy wire or a bad solder joint it shouldn't be difficult to spot. Check the aeriel connection too. If they are cosmetically good and work well they fetch a good price if you want to upgrade but you'll have to find a few more pounds/Euros if you want a nice period stereo, Becker or Blaupunkt maybe. If you know of any yards that break older Mercedes, have a word in their ear. Might get lucky. Original mounting holes behind the radio delete plate don't suit modern audio gear so if you're an iPod person you can just fit an amp under the dash and plug it into that.

1966 122s
Aug 3rd, 2009, 18:42
Thanks Derek,

I'll get it out and give it a go. Your ipod comment has also given me a few thoughts and I might try to put something in in parallel.

At the moment the quailty is limited by the single speaker under the dash (looks circa 1966) , but I don't want to start cutting into door cards or rear shelf. Do owners ever fit speakers to both sides under the dash ??

Either way I hope to be listening to the joys of Long Wave through a single speaker in the near future !

Alf ista
Aug 3rd, 2009, 18:58
I got a period Blaupunkt which really looks the business for about €95 if memory serves me right. It is fm and am with an ipod jack on the back. I replaced the knackered speaker behind the shelf and put another one in the hole at the rear parcel shelf. My '70 car has a space for one, not sure if the older cars do. do what Derek says, take the knobs off and so on. I would check all the external connections first, power, earth, aerial, speakers.
Hugh.

1966 122s
Aug 3rd, 2009, 19:43
Thanks Alf Ista,

I'll give the scap yards a try as getting something period but with FM would be good. Already checked externals and 95% certain problem is internal.

Did you spot the 123GT in Ireland under for sales. Bumped into this chap Sunday in Inistoige. Nice car but 6000 euro mark left me not being interested. Anyone got a view on what a 123GT in mid condition 1 should go for in UK ? Ireland does seem to be a bit over-optimistic on valuations.

Thanks again

Alf ista
Aug 3rd, 2009, 20:19
Didnt see it but €6000 does seem a lot alright. Although, you know the way it is; the asking price could be way over what he would be happy with getting. If it doesent sell after a while that asking price might drop.