PDA

View Full Version : Amazon: - Best Electric Fan

Devs
Aug 3rd, 2009, 19:17
Hi

I have an Amazon with what appears to be a standard radiator, although there isn't any kind of expansion chamber fitted, which suprised me. I purchased the car with a bodged electric fan, held on with cable ties which obviously came from a donor vehicle. My car runs quite warm, so I'd like to fit a proper kit.

Does anyone have a Kenlow unit fitted or similar? I've tried to track one down for an Amazon and failed so far.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Devs

Alf ista
Aug 3rd, 2009, 20:22
Let us know what car you have and what year. The earlier cars didnt have an expansion bottle. The original fan is mechanical and is attached to the front of the engine where the water pump is. You should be able to pick one up easy enough, scrap car or ebay.
Welcome to the forum by the way. Hugh.

Quarterless
Aug 3rd, 2009, 20:30
just fitting a kenlowe one on there at the mo. I have a metal fan spare for your water pump if you need it. But I recomend an electric one if you can get it. There are no real volvo amazon specific kits. just measure the size of the rad and the space infront/behind and buy one to fit.

AidanC
Aug 3rd, 2009, 20:35
You really need to investigate why the car is quite warm - the previous owner may have fitted the electric fan as a bodge. I'd check the radiator condition, thermostat, temp guage accuracy etc before doing anything else.

Some proper kits come with cable ties but as you've said, many are from other cars. I've heard good things about Pacet if it comes to that.

Make sure that the fan isn't working the wrong way - some are fitted as suckers and some are blowers - its worth making sure that your fan is directing the air in the most effective way. They should also be adjustable in terms of temperature so its worth checking that its cutting in when it should.

Devs
Aug 9th, 2009, 19:11
Thanks for the info chaps

I have the standard metal fan attached to the water-pump, and have removed the thermostat in the short-term as that was faulty. The rad looks excellent and is only a few years old. It's a 1966 121 by the way, so I assume there wasn't an expansion for that model.

The current electric fan blows correctly as it should and I've fitted an aftermarket temp. guage to double check how warm it is.... and the answer is, without the electric fan being on... it gets very warm. I'm not losing any water, so it's a weird one!

Derek UK
Aug 9th, 2009, 21:25
Check your timing, check your mixture, replace your radiator cap if the seal looks suspect (make sure it's the correct reach) should be a 4lbs one but 7lbs OK. Fit a new thermostat as soon as possible. Make sure it's the correct one for the B18, it has a plunger underneath that opens/shuts against the bypass tube in the head. 82º is the correct one.
Having the gauge get up towards the red is no problem around town but it should settle back down a bit when you get cruising.
You haven't told us what you consider "warm".

myatt1972
Aug 9th, 2009, 21:49
I have an electric fan off a volvo 340 1.7 fitted to my Rx7, it fits on the grill side of the rad and blows through the rad allowing me to keep my original viscous fan on the car so does not alter the looks.
Keith...

classicswede
Aug 11th, 2009, 21:58
The 1.7 fan is a suck through not a blow through fan.

If you have an electric fan fitted (no fixed fan)to an amazon it should only come one after a long stand in traffic. You need to look into the cause of the hot running.

myatt1972
Aug 12th, 2009, 20:54
[QUOTE=classicswede;545096]The 1.7 fan is a suck through not a blow through fan.

Bloody hell, thats why the car slows down when the fan kicks in. lol
Keith..

classicswede
Aug 12th, 2009, 22:19
Well if the car is slowing down because of it then there are some serious power issues lol.

The issue with using a fan the wrong way is it will not be fully effective in cooling the engine. Normaly fine as long as you don't subject it to extream conditions.