PDA

View Full Version : 1800S wiper mechanism

JP 1800
Aug 7th, 2009, 00:45
After reading another thread I have a question regarding the wiper mechanism on a 65 1800S. Do the wipers self park, as mine don't.

Ron Kwas
Aug 7th, 2009, 01:52
JP;

Welcome to the Forum!

Of course your wipers are supposed to self-park(!)...if they don't, but otherwise seem normal, I expect the parkswitch or it's contacts are worn, or some other problem exists with it...extracting the wiper mechanism for an inspection/overhaul is no fun in an 1800...I can remove the wiper mech in an Amazon in a half hour...but in an 1800, I don't even want to wager a guess...in all honesty, I'd leave it and manually park the wipers until the next time the windshield had to come out...then I'd remove upper dash at that time and extract wiper assy while I was able to see behind dash from above...see also: http://www.sw-em.com/Windshield%20Wiper%20Systems.htm

I would suggest having a glance under the dash and determine which motor/assembly you have, and also check that the green wire hasn't become disconnected at switch or motor assy end...it supplies power to the parkswitch.

Greeting from Connecticut and Good Hunting!

capt jack
Aug 7th, 2009, 12:55
I'd have to disagree with Ron on this one.

Assuming my ES is the same as other 1800 cars, I found that it's quite easy to remove the complete mechanism, take it to bits, clean it all up and put it back together.

It's all under the dash, but once it's out it's very straightforward.

Getting it back is a bit of a challenge - but it's not that bad!

Cheers

Jack

JP 1800
Aug 7th, 2009, 22:02
Thanks Ron, you web page is a good source for fixing electrical problems with the p1800. I am going to install a emergency flasher soon and your tutorial is good and concise.

Ron Kwas
Aug 7th, 2009, 23:24
Jack;

If in your experience, extraction is not that bad, even from an ES which is likely even a bit busier under there, that's great news...I've never tried it so I was not speaking from experience...

JP; thanks for the comments.

Cheers

capt jack
Aug 9th, 2009, 09:25
Hi Ron

The worst bit is getting it back - you know, the bit in the books where they say 'simply a reversal of removal'! But as ever the old rules apply,take your time and think about it!

The mechanism is simplicity itself - a Volvo trademark I guess. The non-parking problem is almsot certainly electrical - possibly as simple as a broken connection.

Cheers

Jack

Ron Kwas
Aug 9th, 2009, 14:01
Jack;

If all else is working fine and only the Parking function is not, then the problem is without a doubt only a broken connection...trouble is: Where?...within the park switch?...external at terminals?...at dashoard switch (later Bosch system)?...this is the trick to determine...if JP has the Bosch system, the open connection could very well be at the dashboard switch, because this switch is crutial to close the connection to allow dynamic braking of the PM motor while parking...without it, motor just coats through park position...see: http://sw-em.com/Windshield%20Wiper%20Systems.htm#Wiper_Motor_Assem bly_Suppliers

...ah yes, the old: "Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly" (these instruction no doubt from the: Man of few words dept.)

Cheers

JP 1800
Aug 15th, 2009, 01:03
The wiper mechanism is now sorted, all it was, was a missing wire on the switch, the green wire, so I did not have to remove the whole unit. Thanks for all your replies it has been a great help.

regards
JP