PDA

View Full Version : Amazon: - Front damper fun!

222s
Aug 10th, 2009, 10:49
Someone in the design / engineering dept at Volvo thought it would be a good idea to attach the dampers via a thread on the top & bottom of the shafts. This works fine when fitting new ones, but trying to undo that nut when they're old is nigh on impossible, as the flats on the end round instantly, and so there's no way of stopping the shaft turning....

Found this out over the weekend when trying just to change a knackered bush. In the end, I had no choice but to cut the dampers out (hacksawing through the bush just below the nut on the top mount) & then fit replacement shocks too. Fortunately I had a pair in my garden shed (also already fitted to the mounting plate that bolts into the wishbone, so I didn't need to extract that from the old ones) nor worry about waiting for new ones to arrive.

Off came a very manky looking pair of Spax adjustables. So manky in fact that it wasn't until they were off that I could even work out what they were. On went a pair of s/h original Volvo black front shocks (off a low mileage car that was broken a while ago - I bought the entire front suspension). Half way though (did one side at a time) I compared the damping performance between the two - the ancient Spaxes were knackered compared to the Volvo ones, so perhaps it wasn't so bad that I couldn't replace just the bush! :)

classicswede
Aug 10th, 2009, 17:58
For undoing the top mole grips work about best to hold the stem from turning. To undo the lower end big pipe grips normaly do the job. If that does not work then it is normaly fair to say the the damper is beyond salvage.

Rember when fitting new to apply a bit of grease

222s
Aug 10th, 2009, 20:42
Molegrips didn't work - tried that immediately after it didn't like the adjustable spanner. However the threads were very rusty anyway, so it would have been a mission to wind the nut all the way off, even if I could stop the shaft from turning.

Quarterless
Aug 10th, 2009, 23:30
Might be time to have a word with Gaz Shocks!

222s
Aug 11th, 2009, 10:24
Not fussed about uprating them tbh - the old Volvo branded ones will be replaced soon anyway with a set of brand new Girlings when the entire front suspension gets stripped down & dealt with properly (sandblasted & powdercoated wishbones, all new balljoints, bushes, bumpstops, etc etc).