PDA

View Full Version : General: - Power increase

martinnewnum
Aug 11th, 2009, 14:53
Hi, am new to Forum. Have a nice fairly low mileage Amazon estate that I will be upgrading. At the moment I would like to know what I can do without altering the transmission tunnel. Would like to engineer a T5 conversion but assume that would require serious bodywork mod and I want to keep the bodywork as original. Am hoping for 150-170 bhp.
e.g. Do I have to keep to an upright engine? What about a 940 or 760 Turbo engine?
Many thanks in ancticipation.

Moosejaw
Aug 11th, 2009, 16:02
I'm sure that someone with a good bit more expertise than I have will be along later, but from what I've heard 150/170bhp is easily attainable with an original spec B20B engine from a late car. IIRC these had about 118bhp as standard and with a bit of work to the head, hotter camshaft, better carbs and free flow exhaust I'm sure I've heard of tweaked Amazons running with anything up to 200bhp on their original engines.

Oilline
Aug 11th, 2009, 16:45
You could take a look at what ive been up to
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=56733&referrerid=19730

classicswede
Aug 11th, 2009, 21:49
150 BHP is quite doable from the B18 with lower cost than an engine swap and teh B20 has even more potential.

martinnewnum
Aug 11th, 2009, 22:02
Must admit the supercharger route is of most interest as prefer good spread of power rather than high revving tuned engine and would be nice to keep it original to a degree. It would be at the limit of my ability though I could be up for a challenge. Strangely enough my Amazon is identical to Oilline.

asneddon
Aug 12th, 2009, 18:41
The easiest power always comes from nitrous. Might not be what you are after though

jakobandhismakarov
Aug 13th, 2009, 15:50
The easiest power always comes from nitrous. Might not be what you are after though

After it melts your piston crowns because DA WIZARDS OF NAWZZ LOL couldn't be arsed fitting the kit properly.

*memories of a 1400 Renault 5 + 100 HP tank of nitrous oxide down the Carrington Spur.......priceless*